Tentative list of membership options. - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 02-15-2005, 12:40 PM   #81
Vince
nothin wrong with that, are you going to use money to advertise the site? like ads in mags? it would attract new paying members as well as shoppers.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:11 PM   #82
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
nothin wrong with that, are you going to use money to advertise the site? like ads in mags? it would attract new paying members as well as shoppers.
Depends on whether this works or not. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:23 PM   #83
Sasheena
Quote:
chickens before they hatch
Now you're raising chickens?

I'm looking forward to the changes.

Old 02-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #84
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bartley
I guess I am just daft but, I still just don't get why you want to limit posting on the BOI solely to people who pay. I understand the concept of getting rid of trolls, but I doubt it will work well. I can register multiple email addresses with PayPal, and pay that way using those multiple accounts if I wanted to be a true pain in the butt.
I really don't get it either.

It is the BOI that has made the rest of this site even possible. As a business model, the last thing you want to do is lock people out of the primary objective that draws them to the site in the first place. If someone gets scammed and they want to warn people about it, they will now have to decide if it's worth it to them to get scammed a second time by having to pay for the privilage to post about their experience here or they can take their business elsewhere. Chasing your customer base away is simply not good for business. It is not a matter of who is more loyal to the site than someone else or who has the money to pay for their "show of loyalty". Loyalty and support and respect should never be confused with money. Considering all the other options that were offered and ignored, the only conclusion I can come to is that this is nothing more than a setup for the site to crash and burn. Once the site is shut down no more headaches to deal with right?

Adrian

Old 02-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #85
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
I really don't get it either.

It is the BOI that has made the rest of this site even possible. As a business model, the last thing you want to do is lock people out of the primary objective that draws them to the site in the first place. If someone gets scammed and they want to warn people about it, they will now have to decide if it's worth it to them to get scammed a second time by having to pay for the privilage to post about their experience here or they can take their business elsewhere. Chasing your customer base away is simply not good for business. It is not a matter of who is more loyal to the site than someone else or who has the money to pay for their "show of loyalty". Loyalty and support and respect should never be confused with money. Considering all the other options that were offered and ignored, the only conclusion I can come to is that this is nothing more than a setup for the site to crash and burn. Once the site is shut down no more headaches to deal with right?

Adrian
People who pay nothing to be here are NOT "customers". So how can I be chasing away "customers"? If people are not willing to pay for the services offered here, then I really don't have to worry about customers at all, now do I?

Quite simply put, if I am expected to get nothing in return for my time and efforts, then I will do things much more enjoyable to spend my time and efforts doing. So if my choices are:

(1) Keep everything for free and work myself into the ground as I have been, providing for this site with no appreciable return for my efforts,

or

(2) Charge a modest fee, which if it is acceptable, will keep this site up and running, or else just let it go and then be free to pursue other interests in my *free* time.

Guess which one is the most sane path for me to follow?

I am certainly appreciative of some of the people here who feel that my time and efforts are of no value and it is expected of me to continue to keep taking my time, effort, and money to provide YOU with the benefits of this site for free. Quite frankly, if this site is not worth $10 to you, be gone. I really could not care less about it. For the last several years, MANY things I have been wanting to do with my time have not gotten done. So either this site becomes worthwhile to ME to continue, or I really don't need it at all. If YOU feel you need it, well then, YOU have to now prove it. If you DON'T need it either, then there is no problem, now is there? We ALL agree that this site has no value to anyone, and I certainly have no reason at all to continue with it at my own sole expense and efforts.

I believe that this is actually a very easy decision for people to make. A vote of confidence, of sorts..... But a SERIOUS vote, however, not just some hokey poll that is of no real consequence. THIS vote will have consequences.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #86
Vince
this is beating a dead horse ever thread about the changes ends up the same. suck it up people 10 bucks for a year! you can post classifieds for 10 right? I have worked to hard and gone over way to many bumps to not have a site like this to sell my animals on when that time comes. Fauna has helped me become a better person mostly becuse i learnd not to react like a jackaz when something happens. my reactions not only on here are better but are way better in real life, and how could you put a price on that?

Old 02-15-2005, 07:55 PM   #87
Sasheena
Exclamation

That poor horse is thinner than 6-month old road kill, it's been beaten so much... but here, let me have a whack at it anyway...

The primary value in the BOI is the ability to find out if the person you intend to send your hard-earned money to is in fact a "Good Guy" or a "Bad Guy". Whether you are bill jones down the road or super-duper-member of the site, you only need to be registered (no money changes hands) to be able to read the BOI. THAT's FREE. THAT's VALUE.

IF you have more to offer to the world in general, and to the site in specific, you eventually try to decide if paying the $10 is worth it to you. If you don't feel it's worthwhile, then okay, that's the end of the story.

Now... will one or two crooks fall through the cracks? probably... But if Mr. Bad Guy steals enough money from enough people, he'll be tagged on the BOI.

Will the podunk "he forget to give me my 40 cents in change so I think he's the worst bad guy in the universe" threads become fewer? Hopefully.

The net result of what is going to happen is:

(a) The site will die a quick, quiet death -- killed by the fee.

or

(b) The site will suddenly become more serious, the jerks, spoofers, flamers-over-nothing, and vindictive petty arguments will become fewer and less common, people will start to sit up and say: "Hey, that BOI isn't a JOKE" and the site will move on to a new level of maturity and acceptability.

I happen to believe, with the amount of thought and care that has gone into the site, that option (b) in one form or another will be the true result.

YES... some people will get all freaked out and miserable and leave because they can't do what they've always done for free anymore. Ah well. I think the biggest point is that those who want something ONLY for nothing, and will NEVER be a contributing member, will GO BYE BYE and this is a GOOD thing.

Long Live Fauna.

Old 02-15-2005, 07:59 PM   #88
Vince
If you trim a bush, it will be thin but eventualy it will grow back bigger , thicker, and stronger.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:42 PM   #89
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave
People who pay nothing to be here are NOT "customers". So how can I be chasing away "customers"? If people are not willing to pay for the services offered here, then I really don't have to worry about customers at all, now do I?

Quite simply put, if I am expected to get nothing in return for my time and efforts, then I will do things much more enjoyable to spend my time and efforts doing.
Nobody is saying that you should be expected to get absolutely nothing for your time and effort. Nobody is saying that you should keep the entire site as "free". It's the choice as to where the money should be coming from that is insane. Making people pay for the extra bells and whistles of the forums features and toys versus a basic plain schematic - that is understandable. Those that WANT them will pay for them. Those that don't want them don't have worry cause they wouldn't have them. Making people pay to post classified ads or run advertising banners is again understandable - those people are investing in chance of making a profit off that for their business. But, making people pay to post how they got scammed by someone? You do nothing but scam them a second time of their hard earned money.

Support and respect is earned - not bought. Making people pay to physically show their support to this site? If people want to pay to show their support isn't that what the donation/contribution feature is for? People do not have to pay you to show their support to this site. The very fact that you have people visiting this site every day shows you their support. If they didn't support this site to some extent then they wouldn't be coming here now would they. Without those people just simply coming here and racking up the numbers, this site would be nothing.

The BOI is what attracts the people here and keeps them coming back for more. The people attract the advertisers. The advertisers is where your money is. Lock the people out of the BOI and you chase them away. Once the level of people visiting the site drops below a certain level, you start to chase away your advertisers because their chance for profit from their advertising investments has dropped below acceptable levels. Your discussion forums are not the draw here - it is the BOI. Making people pay to use the BOI is bad for business all around.

Adrian

Old 02-15-2005, 08:44 PM   #90
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
If you trim a bush, it will be thin but eventualy it will grow back bigger , thicker, and stronger.
ah, but if you trim a bush the wrong way you can end up killing it by mistake.

Adrian

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!