Uromastyx Eggs.. infertile *pretty sure* - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Miss Tuniwha
Uromastyx Eggs.. infertile *pretty sure*

Well. I have a couple Mali Uromastyx. I did not cool them this winter, I had planned to do it this coming season.

Well.. "Isis" is always a fatty.. so when I did one of my many random animal room checks today, and saw 3 fat eggs behind her (as she kicked sand at them)
I let out a strange SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

then my brain kicked in. LOL.

To the best of my knowledge, due to the high heats they bask, a male must be hibernated to rebuild good, fresh sperm, because the high heat kills them.

I have a couple photos.. the only "veins" or anything are the one little red lines you see in the photo.

I guess she is ready for motherhood eh? A sign that I should in fact cool the male. LMFAO.

Just wanted to get others thoughts/confirmation that these are infertile.

I DID put them in the incubator just for funsies though. LOL

thanks all,
Brandi

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Miss Tuniwha
well, I THINK she is done, because she just ravaged some salad.

6 eggs.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Wolfy-hound
*Disclaimer*
I know bupkis about uros, or most lizards... or even most eggs, having experiance with ball python and tegu eggs only, well, and chickens geese guinea fowl.... but they don't count because they are birds. Although lizards and birds are very close on a evolutionary scale... but birds don't have scales, don't get me wrong. Although they say that feathers are modified scales..... what was I saying?

Oh yeah! I don't see anything that looks like veins, so I would hazard a guess that they are infertile. Putting them into the incubator wouldn't hurt anything though.

Congrats!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
MDC_Ophiuchus
Our uromastyx did the exact same thing a few weeks ago. I had to hastily do research on my blackberry since we do not have internet in our home.

To be honest, those eggs do look better than ours did, but I wouldn't count on their fertility. The success rate for hatching out baby uros (even for those prepared for it!) is not that great. from what Ive read, mainly due to their high incubation temps (Deerfern farms suggests 93'F).

Old 05-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Miss Tuniwha
Final count is 8.. 8 eggs.. as of this morning they still look "firm".. not deflated or anything.

High incubation wont be an issue with me.. bps incubate around 88 to 90 (I believe) so I put them in one of the incubators I had set up for them already, and just turned it up a few degrees..

since I have do dang BP eggs yet.. *GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*

Old 05-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Mooing Tricycle
Neat Brandi! Id be happy to see those buggers hatch for you!

Do infertile eggs have any veins at all???

Old 05-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
Miss Tuniwha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
Do infertile eggs have any veins at all???
therein lies my .. confusion..

They are in the incubator, just in case.. MAYBE the veins are really small? or maybe that one chunk is normal in duds?

How many licks DOES it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

I would be ECSTATIC for these to be fertile, and hatch.. that would make my season right there!

Old 05-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
khoffman
very cool

Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #9
Miss Tuniwha
anyone else???

Old 05-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
TheFragginDragon
Don't know squat about Uro's Brandi, but I know when I was breeding Timor monitors, the veins wouldn't even be visible until a couple of weeks after they are laid. Best of luck!!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!