Copulation?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
connorrm
Copulation??

Hey Everyone!
I Have two adult female ball pythons that I bought and I have a breeding size male (about 900 grams). I put them together but have observed no signs of copulation. I was told since the females were wc withen the last 6 months that they were naturally cycled and should be ready to go and the male was cycled as well and producing sperm plugs. I have not observed them at all. How will I know when this is happening, I don't want to miss my window of opportunity. Any advice here would help. It was suggested I get another male to "combat" the other. I have a 500 gram male but am afraid he'll get his butt whooped LOL. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-24-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
Karen Hulvey
A lot of the WC female BPs are kept back until they lay their eggs and then shipped out. This could be what has happened w/your females. If so, I doubt they're ready to breed now. I've read that BPs only lay every other year. My own BPs only laid eggs every other year. I witnessed copulation but only got eggs every other year. I only have a couple so I don't really know if this is true or not. Perhaps someone with more knowledge will post.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
The BoidSmith
I agree with Karen, they have to be in breeding mode for them to copulate. How long have you had them before you put them together? The other thing is the weight. At 900 g they might be ready to start ovulating but it is not 100% sure. Then again, most people go by weight. In my opinion going by body condition is better than by weight. An imported female weighing 900g but measuring in excess of 3 feet, although sexually mature might not ovulate. Weigh needs to go hand in hand with body condition.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:59 PM   #4
connorrm
Sorry....the female is well over 1500 grams its the male that is around 900

Old 02-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
Ryan,

Sorry I misinterpreted what you had wrote on the size of your animals.

Not always will I catch them during copulation (and I check them once maybe even twice a day). But you can sometimes tell there has been breeding activity (or is about to happen) when you see male and female aligned together with their tails close together. Again not a 100% guarantee but when that happens, oftentimes I witness the actual copulation the next time I check on them.

Good luck!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!