The Formation of Exclusive Cliques... - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:14 PM   #11
KelliH
Quote:
I never said it wasn't acceptable, I was trying to say that it makes people feel like they're intruding.
Yes but you were inferring that it is unacceptable in your opinion, that you do not agree with that. I can respect that.

Forums are online communities. Just like any other type of community there are new people joining the community all the time. Sorry but I am not going to stop being myself and enjoying the forum out of worry that I am going to make someone feel like they are intruding.

Quote:
It makes people feel like you have this exculsive littel group, and it's impossible to penetrate and join...esp. if you don't breed geckos.
It's not an exclusive little group. I am not a snob, nor is Justyn, nor is Robin or any of the others that have been named. I do not befriend stuck up egotistical people. This is a group of people that have gotten to know each other over time through various online forums, and other means as well, namely the kingsnake forum. And while on the subject of kingsnake, I used to post on the Leo forum there on a daily basis. I stopped visiting and posting there because I did not like feeling as if I could not be myself. If I posted my true thoughts and feelings I would worry that the thread I posted in would be deleted. That is one of the MANY reasons I love this site, you do not have to worry about that.

Quote:
And how many posts are off topic, that would improve the conversation in another forum?
I never said that Off Topic posts should not be posted in the appropriate forum. What I said was that referring to a gecko by name (can't believe we are even discussing that LOL) and getting a little bit personal per se with friends in a community is no big deal. Joking around and having fun and being friends and sharing ideas and thoughts is a huge part of what makes or breaks a community. And yes, sharing information and facts is important as well. But if all you have is all facts and no fun it will eventually become a rather boring place to hang out. That's all I am saying!

Quote:
And this Off Topic subforum would take away from the rest of the board. Use the 'view new posts' button and you can see all posts that your friends have posted, and it will make the best use of the board, in my opinion.
I just don't see how that would take anything away from the rest of the board. The way I understand it it is just a link to another forum but I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Old 08-04-2004, 01:21 PM   #12
KelliH
Oops forgot one thing Jenn..

Quote:
Use the 'view new posts' button and you can see all posts that your friends have posted, and it will make the best use of the board, in my opinion.
Some fauna members may dislike the "View New Posts" button because they are only interested in Leopard Geckos, or only interested in Ball Pythons etc. They may not want to have to weed through all the other threads in sections of the board they are not interested in. They may only want to click on the specific forum link that they want to read posts in. That's another reason why I feel the Off Topic subforum link is a good idea.

Just wanted to add that!

Old 08-04-2004, 03:43 PM   #13
robin d.
well if it makes anyone feel better any of the off topic area will be directly linked to the general discussion forums..... for the most part i do not like OT posts however if i have something OT i will p[ost it in the correct forum and if i feel filled with the spirit to share it with my leo buds i will (especially reptiles related OT) share it with them as well. .... dont try and be too anal we moved here because we wanted the freedom in which KS does not give you ... the more structure you ask for the more you will get and therefor ending up like what we moved away from. if tyou want more rules and what not go back to KS... i chose not to.
rich here has a fairly simple structure and a very simple set of rules... more rules means more mods which means at one point of another he will have to spend more money and im sure mostly out of his own pocket or start to charge more or for other services... i say sh!t or get off the pot... you got a handful of "whats" in one hand and sh1T in the other which one weighs more?

Old 08-04-2004, 05:52 PM   #14
beakgeek
Quote:
you got a handful of "whats" in one hand and sh1T in the other which one weighs more?
This sounds like one of those questions I dreaded in math class. ;-)

I'll add my opinion......

I signed on the Fauna in February 2004 and I have never felt that there is a clique in Leopard Gecko forum. I have participated in conversations in all the forums and have been given the same treatment as anyone else. Any perceived cliques, alienation, ostracizing, etc. I think is off base. Heck, the reason most people know the names of animals is that the poster either mentions them and post images a lot or like in my case I bought some breeders that were named already, and the seller asks about them.

I like that there is a BS, Lonely Hearts, etc. forum and posts should be made in the appropriate forum. A once in a great while OT is to be expected, but when they get out of hand then chnage needs to happen.

Regards,

Terry

Old 08-05-2004, 01:10 AM   #15
Glenn Bartley
Myself and Justyn and a few others have made a concerted effort to bring people to th

Quote:
Some fauna members may dislike the "View New Posts" button because they are only interested in Leopard Geckos, or only interested in Ball Pythons etc. They may not want to have to weed through all the other threads in sections of the board they are not interested in. They may only want to click on the specific forum link that they want to read posts in
Aah, someone from the Leo forum has finall gotten it albeit likely without actually getting it! You are absolutely correct when you say
Quote:
They may not want to have to weed through all the other threads in sections of the board they are not interested in.
Just as many people do not ewant to wade through the non leo stuff in the leo forum, nor should they have to, nor was this site set up for them to have to do so. Don't you see this is not the community of Leo lovers! This is the community of faunaclassifieds, and it was set up for all to enjoy, but it does have rules and common courtesy should apply. Yet the Leo People, many of them, ignore all of this. It appears to many as if you are snubbing the rest of us by posting all these other types of threads in the Leo section. Aren't the other forums good enough for you? Isn't the set up of faunaclassifieds good enough for you? My guess would be no, because it seems only the Leo section is good enough for you you by the way being generic to leo forum users who persistently post non-leo threads in the leo forum - not any one person). Why not share Ball Python threads in the BP forum, Show/ Expo threads in its forum, Vet/illness/health threads in its forum, and so forth so people who are interested in these fields will find the info they seek in the appropriate forums. Are tou afraid that others will weasel their way into your close knit group your so caled community. Are you afraid that someone in your so called community will become infected by outside influence. It almost seems that way. You are isolating yourselves to some extent in the Leo forum. By your own admission you brought people to the Leo Forum - not to faunaclassifieds - you make that distinction not me:
Quote:
Quote:
Myself and Justyn and a few others have made a concerted effort to bring people to the Leo Forum on Fauna.
Then you say you want people to feel welcome but that is not how it is perceived when you in essence exclude others in the OVERALL fc community by placing any subject you please inappropriately into the Leo forum.
Quote:
Of course we want everyone to feel welcome but we also want this place to be a community. I believe it has become exactly that, a community, and if I am not mistaken it is the most popular forum on this website, with the exception of the BOI. That's awesome
Just by calling the leo forum a community you are being exclusive. This is not sharing, this is, as I see it, isolationist. I cannot stress the overall community is faunaclassifieds, not the Leo Forum. The leo forum on the other hand is a smaller part or section of theb overall community. You came here, if I understand correctly, to get away from another site that was crappy. One that was cliquish in part. One that was elitist in part. Why spawn those same things here? Sure you can have friends in who exclusively use one forum, that is fine when they stick to the topic. If you only talk about leos, I guess the leo forum is the place to do it. However it is, in my opinion, not fine, but is rude, and rather snobby, when people in your so called community repeatedly stray from the subject. It sends the message that people who frequent other forums are not good enough to see these posts unless they come to the so called community of the Leopard Gecko forum. That is, as I see it, not right. By the way, no it is not just like a 'sometinmes thing' as it happens quite frequently as can be seen in my earlier posts - 17 posts, in 4 pages of posts, better fitted elsewhere but yet appearing in the leo forum.

best regards,
lenn B

Old 08-05-2004, 03:37 AM   #16
KelliH
Quote:
Just as many people do not ewant to wade through the non leo stuff in the leo forum, nor should they have to, nor was this site set up for them to have to do so. Don't you see this is not the community of Leo lovers! This is the community of faunaclassifieds, and it was set up for all to enjoy, but it does have rules and common courtesy should apply. Yet the Leo People, many of them, ignore all of this.
Like I already said Glenn, I do agree that OT posts should b

Old 08-05-2004, 04:05 AM   #17
KelliH
Sorry about that. What I was saying was that, as I did state before, I do agree that off topic posts should be posted in the appropriate forum, ie ball python, bearded dragon or even the off topic forum. I did also state that I thought the link to the Off Topic Forum in the Leo Forum was a good idea that Rich came up with. Maybe I am right or wrong on that, I don't really know because, after all, it is only my opinion on the matter.

Quote:
Aren't the other forums good enough for you? Isn't the set up of faunaclassifieds good enough for you? My guess would be no, because it seems only the Leo section is good enough for you
Yeah, I have 700 and some odd posts on Fauna, they are not all Leopard Gecko forum posts. I had several hundred posts here on Fauna before the Leopard Gecko forum even existed. So if it seems to you Glenn that only the Leo section is good enough for me, well, you're guess is incorrect. I can't speak for others BTW, only for myself of course. I mean for crying out loud, I breed leopard geckos, of course I am going to post a lot in the Leo Forum, right??

Quote:
Isn't the set up of faunaclassifieds good enough for you? My guess would be no, because it seems only the Leo section is good enough for you you by the way being generic to leo forum users who persistently post non-leo threads in the leo forum - not any one person).
Again, I do not only post in the Leo Forum. I have posted in some of the other forums as well. But like I said, I am a leopard gecko breeder. I like them, I EVEN NAME SOME OF MY LEOS, oh heavens! So yes, obviously I am going to post in that particular forum more than any others because the majority of my collection consists of leopard geckos.

Quote:
Are tou afraid that others will weasel their way into your close knit group your so caled community. Are you afraid that someone in your so called community will become infected by outside influence.
LMAO! Whatever Glenn. Yeah, like I don't want new people getting into leopard geckos. Hahaha I breed them and sell them, what do YOU think?! Infected by outside influence? LMFAO! Whatever!

Quote:
By your own admission you brought people to the Leo Forum - not to faunaclassifieds - you make that distinction not me:
Bringing people to the Leo Forum IS bringing people to Fauna Classifieds, now isn't it Glenn?

Quote:
Just by calling the leo forum a community you are being exclusive. This is not sharing, this is, as I see it, isolationist. I cannot stress the overall community is faunaclassifieds, not the Leo Forum.
I call the Leo Forum a community because that is what it is. Sorry you don't approve! I am PROUD of the fact that I was a part of building the Leo Forum here and making it the friendly COMMUNITY that it is. Yes of course the OVERALL community is faunaclassifieds but do you really expect all the leo people to force themselves to read and post in any of the other forums if they are not interested in reading the posts there? Of course you not.

Quote:
Then you say you want people to feel welcome but that is not how it is perceived when you in essence exclude others in the OVERALL fc community by placing any subject you please inappropriately into the Leo forum.
I already stated my opinion regarding off topic posts, I said I think off topic posts should be placed in the appropriate forum. And I would like you to give me a specific example where I have excluded anyone from faunaclassifieds? Oh and what specifically were you referring to about me placing any subject I please in the Leo Forum. Please explain.

Quote:
You came here, if I understand correctly, to get away from another site that was crappy. One that was cliquish in part. One that was elitist in part. Why spawn those same things here?
You didn't understand correctly. I came here because I grew tired of threads being deleted all the time. It had nothing to do with cliques or eliteness. I am not spawning anything, I am contributing to the Leopard Gecko Forum and the leopard gecko community.

Quote:
However it is, in my opinion, not fine, but is rude, and rather snobby, when people in your so called community repeatedly stray from the subject. It sends the message that people who frequent other forums are not good enough to see these posts unless they come to the so called community of the Leopard Gecko forum. That is, as I see it, not right. By the way, no it is not just like a 'sometinmes thing' as it happens quite frequently as can be seen in my earlier posts - 17 posts, in 4 pages of posts, better fitted elsewhere but yet appearing in the leo forum.
Glenn that's fine, that is your opinion, I respect it. I am sorry you feel it is snobby and rude to stray from the subject in a thread. Sorry but that just happens sometimes. When threads stray too far off topic or get too heated or whatever, that is when a mod normally steps in and takes care of it with a gentle reminder. You're not a moderator here, are you Glenn? Guess what, neither am I.

Old 08-05-2004, 06:50 AM   #18
Glenn Bartley
Kelli,

You missed something in my post about the "you" being generic and not applying to you I guess.

GB

Old 08-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #19
cricket
My opionion

Mr Bartley,

I feel that you are fully justified to post this post, but it has turned into a "civilized" pisssing contest.

I agree with you to an extent, which really is not my point. My point is this....

I am a fairly new memeber to fauna classifieds and I look at "veteran/seasoned" members such as yourself - to set an example for the rest of us newbies. I also tend to value the information from "veteran/seasoned" members for invaluable information that I take home with me and incorporate when caring for my herps.

I also see this thread, if it continues, to be placed in "hell". I have neverd ventured into hell because it has no value to me or to my herps.

I wish you would take all this extra time and energy that you have and post something myself and other newbies can use and value.

Just my opinion...

Tracey

Old 08-05-2004, 11:06 AM   #20
KelliH
Quote:
You missed something in my post about the "you" being generic and not applying to you I guess.
Glenn-

Considering you quoted ME four times in your post, what was I supposed to think?

Regards,
Kelli

Tracey-

Thanks for your input. I felt like I had to reply to Glenn's post as I took it as being directed at me, since he quoted my last post several times. You are right about setting an example, and I want to apologize to you if anything I posted in this thread offended you. Like I said, I felt I had to reply.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!