house snakes info needed - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #21
John Cherry
No Problem

I always enjoy passing what information we have learned over the years on to others. That is the great thing about this new age of the hobby. In years past we were always isolated it seemed and had little contact with each other. The web and sites such as this and others make things a lot easier for everyone. Let me know if I cna be of help in the future.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 AM   #22
Craig B
I've had house snakes that are very finicky mostly young ones, a large part of the young house snakes diet consists of geckos, and skinks, If you have any of these at you disposal, you could offer it at a distance ,the smell will often trigger a feeding respons, and you can move the gecko or skink away and replace it with a pinkie,small nestling might also work.
I've kept hundreds of Brown house snakes, and I've never had one starve it's self, to death.They always come round with some coxing unless it it was sick before it started the hunger strike.
Good luck with the House snakes.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #23
John Cherry
Browns

The brown african house snake is indeed a wonderful feeder, which is why we only keep them after tryng all the others with their inherent problems from time to time as it said in the post. Further to that point as it says in the post 85 - 95% of them take newborn pinks several days after the initial shed with no scenting or other tricks required. Over the years we have probally handled over 200 of these guys each year and I would strongly encorage folks that want something a little different to try them. Thay are really neat small snakes. One of the other things I like about them is the size differential between the males and females. In most cases the males will be less than 2' and the females around 3' with ahuge difference in size as far as diameter.

enjoy,

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Old 05-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #24
Dennis Hultman
John, I have read they have a voracious appetite. Do they switch to frozen thawed easily?

Old 05-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #25
Dennis Hultman
John,
I contacted Don. He said there would be availability in a couple of months. I'm looking forward to acquiring them. Thanks again for all the information.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:50 PM   #26
John Cherry
feeding

We have always got them started on live new born pInks( I hate killing the little buggers LOL). But after 6 or 8 feeding have had no trouble switching them to frozen thawed with a bit of teasing on the end of froceps.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Old 05-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #27
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cherry
We have always got them started on live new born pInks( I hate killing the little buggers LOL). But after 6 or 8 feeding have had no trouble switching them to frozen thawed with a bit of teasing on the end of froceps.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms
Great! Don said, he needed to check what the price is on a trio of Reds. I will wait for your breeders in appreciation of your participation here.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:32 PM   #28
John Cherry
No Prob

No problem at all and I am sure Don would appreciate it. As for myself I am still trying to lower my debt of education that is so huge. I thank my lucky stars that a lot of folks in the past have shared information with me that helped me along the way.

Let me know if I can be of help in any way.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Old 06-25-2006, 07:41 PM   #29
romad119
I had 3 Namibian big eyeds. Unfortuantely they went MIA though I found one several weeks ago and passed him on to a friend. There were quite voracious feeders and would striek out and grab teh food and bring it back to tehm instead of bringing their body to teh prey. Very interesting feeders.

Old 06-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #30
John Cherry
Lucky

You should consider yourself blessed to have had really good big eyed. Over the years we have kept probally 25 or 30 and all of them were reluctant feeders with the exception of two that did well. I finally gave up on them and concentrated on the Browns.

John Cherry
Cherryville Farms

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!