Snake info please - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Other Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
nickmarch
Snake info please

Hi All,

Can you tell me what snakes if any like mud?

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #2
hhmoore
I guess it would depend on what you mean liking mud...and are you talking about US snakes, or does that matter?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #3
nickmarch
By mud I mean a snake that lives near tidal creeks. It doesn't have to be from the USA but I want to be able to purchase the snake.

Thanks!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #4
Mokele
Unfortunately, mud-dwellers aren't terribly common, but you can find them from time to time. I think your best bet would be the US mud snake, Farancia abacura, a relatively large species (and, IMHO, quite pretty). There are also numerous Homalopsine snakes from SE Asia, such as Fordonia, Cerberus, Gerarda and others, which can be found on mud flats during low tide and appear quite adept at dealing with this habitat (even if it's not the primary habitat). Two problems, though: Just about any Homalopsine on the market other than Enhydris will be wild-caught, and all Homalopsines are rear-fanged venomous (though I'm unaware of any medically significant envenomations).

Henry

Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 PM   #5
Chris Steele
Why do you want a snake that likes mud? There are many many snakes though that like to live around tidal creeks for example hanging in the shrubbery out over the water in the heat of the day. Are you interested in those?

Old 10-23-2006, 11:15 PM   #6
nickmarch
Henry - Chris,

Thanks for your replies!

I searched for mud snake looking for snakes that liked mud and found the North Carolina mud snake. It is cool looking and from what I read it does not bite.

I searched today but could not find any for sale. Do you know where I can get one?

The mud thing is because of an art project. I need to have the snake in very shallow mud and wanted a snake that would not be harmed by the mud.

Thanks!
Nick

Old 10-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
Mokele
Does it have to be a snake? Several elongate, near-limbless amphibians such as Sirens and Amphiumas also deal with mud regularly, and should be more availible (though watch out, Amphiumas bite!) If you can venture even further out, phylogenetically speaking, you could use an African Lungfish (Protopterus); I know from firsthand experience that they deal with mud very well, and will be fine without water so long as the mud is kept moist. They're modest in price, and often availible through exotic fish importers. I would note, however, that they're nippy, and unlike Amphiumas, large ones (which can exceed 2 feet long) can take a finger off. However, I also hear they're quite tasty.

Henry

Old 10-23-2006, 11:35 PM   #8
nickmarch
Henry,

I'll want to keep it after the project. I wouldn't want something that is going to bite me on a regular basis.

Nick

Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
Mokele
Sirens might be a good bet then, but they might be hard to find, and they require a full aquarium setup.

If all you need is something to wiggle through the mud, most north american watersnakes should work, though they don't live in it primarily. I can't say much for their dispositions, but I think a few of the prettier ones are bred in captivity, so those might be nice.

Henry

Old 10-24-2006, 03:02 AM   #10
nickmarch
Henry,

I read that sirens are needed to feed mud snakes. I imagine both are hard to find or buy.

My brother in NJ caught a rat snake at his home. His home is located on the Pennsauken Creek. I'm thinking maybe a rat snake might work???

The snake won't live in or be in the mud for long.

Nick

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!