Change to mobile device appearance/format? - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:32 PM   #41
Insomniac101
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
Did something happen here to make it difficult for new members to post? In less than a week, we have had 100 new registered members and only one (1) of them has made even a single post on the site.

That is just real unusual, so I'm wondering if something happened that I need to be aware of.
Of course, I can't speak for others, but I lurked for several months after I registered. Mostly, I was just trying to get a feel for the site and its members, and what the general culture was like. With the BOI gone, maybe folks joined just to view/post classifieds, and may never feel the need to post.

Old 03-16-2020, 11:58 PM   #42
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniac101 View Post
Of course, I can't speak for others, but I lurked for several months after I registered. Mostly, I was just trying to get a feel for the site and its members, and what the general culture was like. With the BOI gone, maybe folks joined just to view/post classifieds, and may never feel the need to post.
Well, sounds like a good theory, so I went through and did some spot checks of various periods of new registrations in the past to check where those people were posting, and I would have to say that 99% of them posted in the classifieds section, whether responding to an existing ad, or starting one of their own. And those areas I checked were AFTER the BOI had been closed.

So I tend to think that the closing of the BOI has nothing to do with this recent phenomenon.

BTW, I was talking about posting on the entire site, which does include the classifieds sections. Basically zip for postings from those new registrations.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #43
WebSlave
FYI, I asked my programmer to remove the Adsense Auto-ads code, as I think it may have been chasing people away with the intrusive ads. But I intent to monitor things to see how it goes. If it doesn't make any difference in traffic either way, but knocks back the income from the Adsense ads substantially, then I will ask my programmer to re-implement it.

So if anyone has any comments pro, con, or neutral about this stuff, please chime in here. I would rather make decisions based on some input, but wouldn't be the first time I have just bitten the bullet to see what happens.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:10 PM   #44
Beyond GenetiX
I don't have a computer, only an iPad and I hate it 😂😂😂. "Request desktop site" only stays active for a short period of time. It has been really cumbersome for me to be on, I understand that it's my choice to not buy/use a computer.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:08 AM   #45
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I don't have a computer, only an iPad and I hate it ������. "Request desktop site" only stays active for a short period of time. It has been really cumbersome for me to be on, I understand that it's my choice to not buy/use a computer.
So what exactly do you hate? Was it better here before the mod was done to try to make this site more "mobile friendly", or the site in general from the very beginning accessing it via your mobile device?

Personally I just hate accessing the internet at all via my smart phone, but that is just me. So I just don't do it. At all.

Old 03-20-2020, 04:02 AM   #46
Logician
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond GenetiX View Post
I don't have a computer, only an iPad and I hate it 😂😂😂. "Request desktop site" only stays active for a short period of time. It has been really cumbersome for me to be on, I understand that it's my choice to not buy/use a computer.
For ipad, mobile skin isn't suppose to kick in. I tweaked it a little, please check now.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:55 AM   #47
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
So what exactly do you hate? Was it better here before the mod was done to try to make this site more "mobile friendly", or the site in general from the very beginning accessing it via your mobile device?

Personally I just hate accessing the internet at all via my smart phone, but that is just me. So I just don't do it. At all.

The mobile skin on iPad, every second reply in the thread was an ad or blank for the most of the page, then another reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logician View Post
For ipad, mobile skin isn't suppose to kick in. I tweaked it a little, please check now.
This is much better now, makes me feel like I'm home again. I know I'm not the only user but it was rough for me.

Old 03-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #48
Insomniac101
It seems much better for me too. I was having the same issues as Jason was, but on my phone, not an iPad.

It was getting annoying to be bounced back to the "mobile" log-in page every time I clicked on any thread. Sometimes, I would click on a thread, and would get a full-page ad. But mostly, it would direct me back to the mobile version log-in screen.

Thanks for looking into it, and making some adjustments. Much better; for me, anyway.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #49
WebSlave
Quote:
FYI, I asked my programmer to remove the Adsense Auto-ads code, as I think it may have been chasing people away with the intrusive ads. But I intent to monitor things to see how it goes. If it doesn't make any difference in traffic either way, but knocks back the income from the Adsense ads substantially, then I will ask my programmer to re-implement it.

So if anyone has any comments pro, con, or neutral about this stuff, please chime in here. I would rather make decisions based on some input, but wouldn't be the first time I have just bitten the bullet to see what happens.
Well, FYI, things have really nosedived with the Google Adsense income after my programmer disabled the autoads thing, so I have asked him to re-enable it. Income is less than a third of what it was prior.

This might not be the entire reason for the significant drop in Adsense revenue, though, as quite likely this COVID-19 issue is also taking it's toll here in a number of ways. As people lose their jobs, or the fear thereof, paid memberships and paying advertisers will certainly drop like a rock. Even general participation here will likely drop off substantially as I believe many people tend to use the networks where they work for a substantial portion of their internet browsing. And are people really going to be interested in viewing ads of animals and products that they can not really afford to invest in right now?

So it behooves me, I believe, to not disable anything that might bring in even a little bit of extra income for this site for as long as it works as it was designed. I apologize if this causes people heartburn with their viewing this site on their mobile devices. I wish the world were just perfect for everyone, but obviously that is not the case. So I just have to make the best decisions I can, with everything I can think of in mind.

Old 06-07-2020, 07:06 PM   #50
WebSlave
Exclamation

FYI, I asked my programmer to disable all Google Adsense ads for all paid levels of memberships, which should include Sponsors too. This was done about a week ago, but I wanted to monitor the revenue change in Adsense to make sure this is a reasonable thing for me to do, before making a public announcement about it.

There wasn't too big of a change in revenue, so I'm hoping that this might spur more members into becoming paying members to compensate for the minor loss this will cost me.

Unfortunately I forgot to ask him to disable the ads for me........

But I guess I should monitor them anyway, so what the heck. Doesn't seem to kick in much with my desktop computer viewing anyway.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!