Thoughts on reciprocity? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
hemingway155
Thoughts on reciprocity?

Hi there folks. As a buyer who has been criticized (though not strongly, for risk of self-over-incrimination) for having high standards for sellers, I have a question for the community. I buy quite a few reptiles in various genres, and I read the BOI, and I keep confronting the same scenario -- someone inquires, the breeder holds the animal, buyer drops the ball or stalls, and everybody is upset. I agree, that "buyer" is problematic. However, how reciprocal is the burden?

Today, I saw a bearded dragon I would have liked to buy. It was in an ad on a classifieds site that shall remain nameless, with one of its siblings. I responded to that ad within minutes of its posting and offered to pay immediately (and would follow through). The subsequent reply: that breeder had been in conversation with someone for a couple weeks (this was the first ad of the animal in question, so I presume the conversation was behind the scenes) and could not commit to selling it to me until the other buyer exercised their dibs (six hours later). Long story short, the other buyer wanted the same one as me, and I came out on the short end of the stick.

So, this may just be bitter grapes, but do you guys feel it is an ethical practice to float animals out there without the ability to sell them immediately? Not trying to stir anything up, hence the lack of names, but I am genuinely curious about the state of the field, and how burdens attach. I know I feel committed if I make a solid offer to a seller and they respond quickly. How committed is a seller, once they post the animal, and I respond? I totally understand first come, first served, but is it ethical to post an animal you aren't willing to sell immediately should money materialize?

I appreciate your comments, and I am only interested in improving the marketplace of ideas out there as we engage in discussion about the nature of the business. I have always found the BOI to be a great resource and anticipate enlightening input to this question.

Kris