Are my eggs still good? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Lizardman87
Are my eggs still good?

Hello all I am just writing to see if anyone might be able to help me. This is my first time incubating eggs. I have many beardie eggs in my incubator (4 clutches to be exact) and the first clutch is finishing up day 65 today. The temps have ran anywhere between 83-86 and the eggs still look great compared to the bad ones I have seen searching them up on the internet. I am not worried about waiting a little longer at all... whatever it takes for them to hatch, right? My main question is will an egg still stay looking good if the embryo inside the egg is dead or will it surely get moldy? I will try to post pics of them tomorrow when I get the chance. Any help is always greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

Adam

Old 05-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
mikepanzarella
your fine it can take a long time to hatch my last clutch was 73 days
did you candle them at this point now i wouldnt (i dont know if it hurts them or not)
good eggs is a good range you never really know what will hatch out at this point i would just take them all to term
i try to never toss an egg ill put them in a different container but unless they are very bad its worth a shot (you cant mistake a very bad egg)

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #3
Lizardman87
Yeah all of the eggs look the same, given a few differences in sizes and shape a bit (some a little rounder and some a little longer and more oblong). I haven't candled them since the first week like the information I have read has said.When I did candle them that first week every single one was fertile out of the 23. They say you can potentially stress the embryo out, possibly killing the baby. They are still really white. A couple have a couple speckles on them and have from the start from the original laying substrate that was stuck a bit. I cleaned them off as best as possible without disturbing the egg. Otherwise they look great from the pics I have seen to compare them to. I just didn't know whether an egg will stay looking good and not hatch due to the embryo dying for some reason. Thanks for the help

Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
mikepanzarella
your fine i just always like to recheck my temps and humidity make sure the media you used is still moist and just wait till they start peaking

Old 05-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #5
Lizardman87
That is what i was figuring. I am just really nervous since it is my first time that's all. I greatly appreciate your help

Old 05-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Lizardman87
Here is the pics of some of the eggs. I know they are a little close together but I had absolutely no room left in my incubator and was unable to order another due to backorder. Other than that, the eggs with the either black or brown dots are the first clutch. From what I can see they look great, but its my first time so my only knowledge is all reading and not hands-on. Today marks day 66 and the excitement builds... Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Lizardman87
O yea and the eggs that look like they are touching arent it was just the angle of the pic I took.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #8
mikepanzarella
well the dragons that are going to hatch out will kick around the eggs i would remove the eggs that are not part of that clutch (i would double check on that but im almost postive they can hurt the eggs that are not fully formed)
as for what i did in my clutch
as they hatched placed them in empty containers for 3 days and kept them in the incubator (to let them fully absorb the egg sac and they need alot of humidity )
then moved them into the baby tanks
if you look theres a baby tank thread and also a bunch of info on babies just look back on some thread and read them

Old 05-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Lizardman87
Cool thanks for the info. I had them separate to begin with, but as I said this is my first time and my female just wouldn't stop laying. I was talking to someone that bred them before at my local pet store and he kept me pretty informed except for the fact that nobody is able to tell how many clutches a female will lay. And she laid them with very little time between. I am assuming it is because of how much extra I was feeding her but I just had no idea they were going to keep coming! I tried getting another incubator but was unable to until the beginning of this month due to backorder. Now I have to wait until I get paid to get another. Then I have to wait for it to show up. Whack! Those are pics of them taken today on the 66th day. By any chance do they look like they are on track and doing well? Or are my eyes deceiving me?!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!