Hoarders: (20 Snakes.) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
RJK890
Hoarders: (20 Snakes.)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D133066

Patrick lives with more than 20 snakes and reptiles, including three reticulated pythons that are over 12 feet long. On "Confesssions: Animal Hoarding" (Fri., 10 p.m. EST on Animal Planet) it seemed like Patrick's obsession with the animals could be dangerous for him and them.

He took his snakes out for a walk in the yard each morning but, as his friend Les said, it just didn't look like he had full control over them while they were out there. As he wrestled with two huge constrictors in the yard Patrick said their size made taking them out more exciting.

While his young son watched on, Patrick's sister Shauna didn't think it was a safe situation and yelled, "Really, Pat? The snake is that big?" Despite him saying "it's a small one," it still took four men to carry it back inside.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
rcarichter
If 20 reptiles is hoarding, I'm in a lot of trouble.

I did see this story on the news, and that guy was letting the snakes 'run' around his yard, with his son safely(?) on the other side of the chain-link fence. These are really big snakes, like full grown burms. The snakes definitely gave the guy attitude when he went to take them in. I'm not a snake person, so I have no idea how safe a houseful of these guys are with small kids. I'd like to hear opinions of folks who keep really large snakes.

Noelle

Old 02-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
Metachrosis
IMO,
The snakes being protected from the kids would be much more important.
If 20 is hoarding then so be it,Ill hoard till I die

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
EvergladesExotics
I saw this episode the other day and had a bit of a rant about it

Hi everyone my name is Bridgette and I am a reptile hoarder

Old 02-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Arachno
More BS from Animal Planet.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Tiki108
I hate this crap Animal Planet does, I mean really, you can be an animal hoarder and have 3 cats, it just depends on what you can take care of, if you have 10,000 snakes and they are all well cared for.
I'm not sure how many are aware of this but hoarding is not a separate disorder in psychology. According to the DSM-IV-TR hoarding is part of OCD, while it has been suggested that hoarding be added as a seperate disorder in the DSM-V, it has not yet been decided.

Honestly, let's think about this logically, if I have 100 acres and 20 horses, would Animal Planet be filming me? No, but if I have 10 horses and 2 acres, then we'd have a problem. The issue is there is a difference between hoarding and animal abuse. While there is not official disorder, this was one I found on a site:

-Failure to provide minimal standards of sanitation, space, nutrition, and veterinary care for the animals
-Inability to recognize the effects of this failure on the welfare of the animals, human members of the household, and the environment
-Obsessive attempts to accumulate or maintain a collection of animals in the face of progressively deteriorating conditions
-Denial or minimization of problems and living conditions for people and animals

I didn't see this episode, but did this guy meet any of these standards?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #7
rcarichter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiki108 View Post

-Failure to provide minimal standards of sanitation, space, nutrition, and veterinary care for the animals
-Inability to recognize the effects of this failure on the welfare of the animals, human members of the household, and the environment
-Obsessive attempts to accumulate or maintain a collection of animals in the face of progressively deteriorating conditions
-Denial or minimization of problems and living conditions for people and animals

I didn't see this episode, but did this guy meet any of these standards?
To me, his very small house did not look like enough space to humanely house these animals, which he rationalized by letting them roam in his yard. He claimed to always have these 'back-up' guys in case the snakes got out of control, but that leads me to believe perhaps there's a safety issue for the kids when the back-ups aren't around. I guess the snakes looked healthy enough. I have far more than 20 reptiles, all well cared for and none dangerous, so I totally agree with your assessment of hoarding. He seemed to have an "oh, it's all fine" attitude. I would think that 'good' owners of giant snakes have a more serious attitude about their behavior and safety issues.

Again, these are not 5 ft balls, these are snakes that 4 grown men have trouble handling. How many people anywhere are qualified to own such animals?

Noelle

Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM   #8
LTZoologist
OMG! 20 Snakes, someone stop this man. lol.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:44 AM   #9
rsellers44
Lol i have a single wide trailer with a 14ft bumese, some redtails and a few venomous. They are well taken care of despite my lack of space, ive had the burm for 10 years and he has a whole wall that was removed and a tank made in its place lol, not sure about you guys but as long as its not native to pa its unregulated. I do take alot more safety precations than most though, like locked tanks and friends signing safety waivers lol. Thats not including my gecko racks, totally about 20 differant types. I guess theyd be filming me lol.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
EvergladesExotics
We'd all better hope an Animal Planet rep doesnt browse these forums lol. They'll be knocking on our doors tomorrow bahahaha

In all seriousness though, this is really frustrating, especially at such a hard time for the reptile community. Gosh, can't they just focus on the thousands of people who neglect their 80 dogs and leave us alone???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!