Superworm beetles - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-26-2004, 09:51 PM   #1
gothra
Question Superworm beetles

Is it any good to feed superworm beetles (without the hard shell) to my leos? Reason I'm asking is that my superworm colony is getting out of control, I have 1000+ full grown supers and tons of small ones, the beetles are still producing baby worms, but I only have 2 leos that eat supers!

I'll try pull off one of the beetle's hard shell tonight and see if any of my leos will take it. Anyone know the nutritional value of these beetles? Is it the same as supers?

Old 10-26-2004, 10:17 PM   #2
Vince
feed some birds or something. its to hard for leos even full grown ones to digest the shells. and the beatles give nasty bites.

Old 10-26-2004, 11:39 PM   #3
progeckos
Superworm beetles are no good for feeding. First they are way too hard for the digestion system. Second your leo probably would have no interest them. If you’re producing too many worms don’t morph any more into beetles.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:06 AM   #4
riverjop
my leo's won't touch them! I just let them keep laying till they die.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:17 AM   #5
robin d.
i wouldnt try taking the hard shell off.... just squishing them they give off a totaly foul smell. kinda stink bug-ish bleck

Old 10-27-2004, 03:08 AM   #6
gothra
Thanks for all replies

ok, I won't try it then. I only have around 40-45 beetles, but man, they produced ALOT of supers!! And these supers munch down everything I throw in at lightning speed!!

Old 10-27-2004, 08:20 AM   #7
LadyGecko
Hi- Could you please share some tips on raising the supers?
Funny thing- I saw my first super beetle the other day- It was in one of my dragons tanks and I was going to take it out but one of my dragons beat me to it and ate it before I could grab it
It actually was a very pretty color-for a bug!!
Kinda a red/orange.
OK- I've been hanging around with the herps way too much-LOL!!
Sandy

Old 10-27-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
riverjop
chsck out this link

Old 10-27-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
groovygeckos
question

been working on a reg. mealworm colony ! i got some huge mealies....the beetles they turned into most of them are not black yet , sort of red/orange and quite large ! are these "king"mealies (not supers)??????? ALSO i have seen starnge difference in some of the beetles ...... very few of them look more like roaches (rounded and sort of blunt faces if you will) antennae are coming from the underside and their rear half still look like the rear of the pupa ! also have underdeveloped (chewed looking)"wings" that do not cover their "butts" like the others !!! the other beetles look like they always have , more of a "head" ( not rounded across the front) w/ antennae more-so coming from the top or sides ! is this the difference between male and female or something ? i have read that "kings" cant reproduce , or cant pupate ! well i think i have beetles from kings now , the worms were very wide and short for that width ! looked more like king mealworms ! little confused ! anyone have pix ??? lol

Old 10-27-2004, 08:03 PM   #10
progeckos
Dan,
“King worm” is another name for a superworm. From your description you have giant mealworm. They are a regular mealworm that has been injected with a growth hormone. This is why the beetles look so deformed. What the growth hormone does is not allow them to pupate when they should. I wouldn’t even bother with giants as they aren’t good to feed. Just stick with regular mealworms or superworms.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!