Blonde Russian Tortoise question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:31 PM   #1
Osiris X
Blonde Russian Tortoise question

I have a chance the get a blonde (Im pretty sure its blonde) russian tortoise. Im not a 100% on tortoise morphs, I dont even know if there is a blonde russian morph (it definitely looks blonde, Ill take a picture of it if I can). I can get it for $80, Ive looked around and most russian tortoises are more than that. What are your opinions.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
turtlepimp
Blond Russians are a result of diet,not genetics.People usually pay more for lighter colors,but it is easily reversed by diet.I wouldn't pay more than a normal if I were you.

Andy

Old 11-21-2005, 07:10 PM   #3
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlepimp
Blond Russians are a result of diet,not genetics.People usually pay more for lighter colors,but it is easily reversed by diet.
I've heard this before. Do you know the mechanism, Andy? What are the dietary factors? Are other tortoises affected similarly? Thanks.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
turtlepimp
Not sure the excact mechanism,just speaking from experience.You can keep a sulcata light by laying off anything other than grasses,just like a Rrussian.I have a Golden Greek that was just as light as light could be,until I put her out for a summer and watcher her darken.I once claimed my North American Woods as high reds,until I stopped feeding crayfish.Diet has alot to do with shell color,so you have to watch out for those claiming pastel or light fase anything.It might just be the feed.
Andy

Old 12-23-2005, 02:06 PM   #5
LV426
I've found russians in a range of colors and possess a range of colors and the prices ranged from $25-$80 for wc AND CB so don't let someone rip you off by claiming they have something special when it's not.

Old 01-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
matt rand
another way to lighten a tortoise...

is to keep it out of the sun. there was a large female russian in a nearby pet store that was extremely light colored and a poorly grown carapace. upon inspection the tortoise had a very soft shell, but all the growth was good and blonde.

i have quite a large amount of variation in my herd of russian breeders. the one male i have with the most yellow is very "blondish" and he produces nice yellow offspring with one of my females. i believe the greatest amount of color variation, when all else is held constant, is due to genetics and geographic variation. my hatchlings are all housed together, fed the same diet, and exposed to the same amount of UV, and there is considerable variation in carapace and skin color. the greatest variable being the amount of black markings.

matt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!