New Mexico Import Law - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
FunkyRes
New Mexico Import Law

Arrrrgggghhhh!

OK - so here's the story.

On another forum, a young kid who happens to live in New Mexico is showing interest in kingsnakes. He's asking the right questions and showing real enthusiasm. He asks how to tell if a snake is healthy, best places to get them, etc. - reminds me a bit of myself when I was young.

Apparently he is unable to get to a show, and the only places that carry kings near him are certain "big name" chains known for selling diseased herps.

So I offer him one of my Cal Kings that will be hatching soon. Shipping is little less than the cost of a snake at the chains - and he'll get a healthy snake that feeds on f/t rodents. I'm even giving him pick of the litters (after my pics of course). Everything is settles.

Then I find out New Mexico has an import law - to import the kingsnake legally, he has to submit an import application with a $25.00 fee. Part of the import application is a certificate from an accredited vet that the animal appears to be free from any contagious diseases.

WTF?

The cost of just the vet visit is more than the snake is worth. The cost of the import application is about what the snake is worth (wholesale).

My vet - office visit = $48
fecal float = $23
certificate = $10

I take snakes somewhat regularly for a general checkup - I randomly take breeders in, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that I am properly taking care of my collection should "animal rights" lobbyists target me and make false complaints to F&G. I tend to be fairly vocally against the PETA type, so it is possible that will happen - and I thus must always have everything in proper order.

I'm hoping the vet will allow the baby snake to be visually inspected at the same time as one of my breeders @ no extra charge. I hope that the vet will be willing to certify the snake w/o a fecal float - given that the snake is freshly hatched (um, will be freshly hatched in July ...) and kept isolated, having been fed nothing but f/t prey from RodentPro.

If so - I'll just eat the $10 vet certificate, and the kid in NM will have to take care of the $25 import application fee.

But damn - this is ridiculous. They DON'T require any of this to bring in a Dog or a Cat. Cats are far more devastating to local fauna than any other pet, and they carry a bunch of diseases.

Ah well. That may be the one and only snake I ever send to New Mexico. Utah is also on my no send list - because of the Ryan Hoyer thing. If they selectively enforced their import law with him - resulting in the death of many of his snakes - then I'm not sending any snakes to Utah.

I'll deal with the New Mexico thing and getting the vet certification just because this is a good kid and I'd hate to see him start off with a diseased snake (that *big chain* probably imported illegally by letter of the law). But until they change their law, looks like I have to turn New Mexico customers away unless they are willing to pay for a vet exam.

Incredibly stupid.

Hopefully New Mexico revises their law soon.

Old 11-17-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
jennewt
This importation rule is open for public comment. I would encourage everyone potentially impacted by this absurd rule to send them comments.
http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/docu...entmay2007.htm

Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #3
SPJ
You have no idea how much it sucks to see this thread.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
NorthernRegius.com
This "rule" has been suspended pending further review. We here in NM involved Gov. Richardson in this citing the fact this rule had not been enforced, had no way to be enforced, assumed one had to ask permission to own animals even if such were allowed (illegal to require BTW)... we also mentioned the loss of revenue such a "rule" would have- that got his attention, & we are hopeful the we will see this dropped off the books entirely.

I've lived here since '91- the bulk of my animals as are most of the pet stores, come through the mail. I can tell you this was NEVER enforced & that they Dept of Game & Fish tried to get sneaky last spring and attempt to push enforcement- that's when we acted. More folks are encouraged to continue to write in so the rule is eliminated entirely sooner rather than later.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
NorthernRegius.com
Please note...

As I said this rule is under review
The NM link above directs the viewer to this fact. NM Game $ Fish have been directed to take into consideration PUBLIC Comment & is in the process of amending this rule... link contents listed below (Bolded areas done by me.):

Importation Rules open for PUBLIC COMMENT!

GOALS for Rule Amendment

* Amend Importation rule in effort to facilitate support to Pet Industry (where compatible with Commission’s rules)
* Education & provide adherence to established rules
* Maximize safeguards for State populations of protected wildlife & public safety considerations
* Proactive disease prevention & undesirable species introduction/establishment

Background of the LAW

Importation of all wild by nature animals may only occur in New Mexico after a permit is issued. Do not bring any wild by nature animal into the state if you have not received a permit from the Department of Game and Fish.

Current Importation Law -

In order to protect game animals, birds and fish against importation of undesirable species and introduction of infectious or contagious diseases, it is a misdemeanor to import any live animals, birds or fish into this state, except domesticated animals or domesticated fowl or fish from government hatcheries, without first obtaining a permit from the department of game and fish [17-3-32. Importing game animals; permits. (1963)].

COMMENT HERE - click here to comment on Importation Rule

or write Pat Snyder, Law Enforcement Division, NM Game & Fish, PO Box 25112, Sante Fe, NM 87504

or call Pat at 505-476-8062.

REVIEW CURRENT RULE (19.35.7 NMAC) - This will take you to the current importation rule established by the State Game Commission.

Please do take time to comment at the site link & also to the NM Governor's office.

Keep in mind that this rule had never been enforced, & basically they want to see if anyone cares. Thanks in advance for taking a stand & sharing your comments. -DEB

Old 11-20-2007, 12:14 PM   #6
NorthernRegius.com
Do you have less than 5 minutes?

I am posting my letter to the NM Dept. of Game & Fish. Feel free to customize (especially para 4) and reuse.
You can make a difference here & now!!!

Here are the two places to voice your concerns-

Pat Snyder, Law Enforcement Division, NM Game & Fish patrick.snyder@state.nm.us (***or write Pat Snyder, Law Enforcement Division, NM Game & Fish, PO Box 25112, Santa Fe, NM 87504
or call Pat at 505-476-8062.)

NM Governor- (email link: http://www.governor.state.nm.us/emailchoice.php?mm=6 )
(Or write: Office of the Governor 490 Old Santa Fe Trail
Room 400 Santa Fe, NM 87501)

TO: Pat Snyder, Law Enforcement Division, NM Game & Fish patrick.snyder@state.nm.us
RE: Comments on 19.35.7 NMAC
CC: NM Governor’s office

1. Why are you attempting to regulate the influx of harmless animals into the state of NM?

These animals have no adverse effect being within the state, they do NOT pose a threat & have (until your very recent proposed enforcement of this "rule") have been imported into the state with out any regulation. How do you intend to enforce this rule that covers a list of animals so extensive as to even apply to Crickets?

I can understand your desire to regulate the importation of animals that would be a threat to NM’s eco-system, but you are well beyond that scope here. Do you even fathom that your "rule" exceeds your mandate? Have you looked at what other states have done? Have you considered a more cost effective approach by stating a specific list of non-native animals that due to ecological impact, it would behoove you to regulate?

2. What are your intentions towards current exotic pet owners whose animals have no permit? This Dept. did not even HAVE a permit to issue back when it first discussed this rule & the intention to enforce it in spring of '07. Are you now going to go door-to-door telling children & adults of NM that their treasured pet can no longer reside with them? Many exotic pet owners are allergic to more conventional pets & owning an exotic pet gives them benefit of animal companionship.

It is not within your power nor should it be to tell a person to ask permission from their local county or township for permission to keep their animal! It is the person's responsibility to ensure that they are not in violation with their local laws. To hinge issuing a permit to an applicant having to ask permission for a thing that local law already permits is at best an excessive hoop for the applicant to jump through & at worse prohibitive to exotic pet ownership as a whole.

Your interference with the rights of individuals by attempting case-by-case approval CLEARLY shows you are anti-pet & anti-pet trade. Your rule is not in the best interests of the people whom you serve, neither the state nor the pet trade itself. It requires nothing less that to be completely stricken from the books until such time as you are willing to narrow your focus to only the non-native animals that may have a negative impact on the state.

3. Have you considered the impact that this rule has- on the NM pet store owner; the distributors; the Exotic pets shows held here; the out of state suppliers? Have you set down and evaluated the impact as the monetary costs of this “rule”? Enforcement will make it financially impossible for NM pet shops to stay in business. And for what benefit is this enforcement of this rule precisely?

4. You have opened this rule to public comment. And I have stated mine. But what you have not done is consider that the rule itself is counterproductive & should be erased- it never belonged in your books to begin with. I have enjoyed residing within this state and I own non-native harmless exotic animals. If you pursue enforcing this rule, I will relocate to another more reasonable state. I doubt you may think that the loss of revenue from my departure to be much, but when you add up all the others who will lose out, I hope you are reasonable enough to see that the cost of this rule well exceeds any benefit.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!