Stupid dog owners! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #1
M.Dwight
Stupid dog owners!

There are several people who live in my neighborhood who let there big dogs (like rots and dobermans) run loose. The rest of the neighborhood is held captive in our own homes because of these damn dogs that try to bite everyone who walks down the road. I like to exercise by taking walks but I can't even do that for fear of being attacked. Someday one of these rots are going to kill some poor child on a bike or playing ball. I've called the police several times and they will do nothing. In my mind people who let big dangerous dogs run free are the scum of the earth. How many people have to get bit and children have to die before we do something about these scum. I just heard on the news another two year old girl was killed by her neighbors Rottweiler. When the hell are people going to wake up?
I'm going to do my best to get stronger laws past on the keeping of dogs. I'm normally against strong laws or bans on animal keeping but when a person can not even walk down his own sidewalk something has to be done. These big dogs like rots are every bit as dangerous as any large wild animal like bears or large feline species....they can kill you just the same. There have already been to many victims. I'm going to do my best to put a stop to it.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:00 AM   #2
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.Dwight
There are several people who live in my neighborhood who let there big dogs (like rots and dobermans) run loose. The rest of the neighborhood is held captive in our own homes because of these damn dogs that try to bite everyone who walks down the road. I like to exercise by taking walks but I can't even do that for fear of being attacked. Someday one of these rots are going to kill some poor child on a bike or playing ball. I've called the police several times and they will do nothing. In my mind people who let big dangerous dogs run free are the scum of the earth. How many people have to get bit and children have to die before we do something about these scum. I just heard on the news another two year old girl was killed by her neighbors Rottweiler. When the hell are people going to wake up?
I'm going to do my best to get stronger laws past on the keeping of dogs. I'm normally against strong laws or bans on animal keeping but when a person can not even walk down his own sidewalk something has to be done. These big dogs like rots are every bit as dangerous as any large wild animal like bears or large feline species....they can kill you just the same. There have already been to many victims. I'm going to do my best to put a stop to it.
I suppose everything is open to interpretation. When I lived in New England in a rural town with 2-5 acre minimum lot sizes many people allowed their dogs free run and had no fences. Most were not vicious and there was plenty of "home territory" for them to stay on. We had about 5 acres of woods behind the house and most of the time our dogs stayed there or in the neighbors' woods. I used to worry more about them during hunting season as people often tresspassed on our posted property. They rarely if ever got in anyone's actual yard and the road was over 1000 feet away. Some people closer to the road did have some more aggressive breeds and most were responsible.

Here in Virginia Beach which is a more like a huge suburb, most people use fences and leashes. Our yard is fully fenced and the dogs can be out there safely as much as they like. Animal Control comes at a call so it is generally not a problem.

Sadly it is the few who spoil it for the many of us who are responsible keepers.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:50 AM   #3
reptilemama
It's not the dogs that are the problem, it's the owners. Being a vet tech, I've met tons of big dogs like rotties and dobies, and 90% of them are are the sweetest things. It's the owners who don't take the time to socialize their dogs and teach them right from wrong that end up with problem dogs. Instead of banning certain breeds, there need to be stricter laws on dogs running at large, and they need to be enforced. Next time you see a dog running loose, call animal control and have it picked up. Maybe when the owners have to pay to get it back, they'll be less likely to let it loose again.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O
Sadly it is the few who spoil it for the many of us who are responsible keepers.
I agree. I have kept German shepherds my whole life and my father is even an AKC judge who has been breeding GS for over 40 years. But we are RESPONSIBLE and keep the dogs indoors or in locked kennals where they belong....not roaming the streets. Why is it always the folks with brains the size of flea turds that keep rots and pit bulls. I will be working VERY hard to pass harsher leash and housing laws for dogs in my state.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
DAND
Most states have leash laws and I'm surprised California doesn't.

Like reptilemama said, it's them owners. I have an Akita that would try to eat most anything that moved if she got out. I'd rather not have her get hurt or hurt someone or another animal so she stays either in the house or in the 50 x 100 area of the yard that is fenced in.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAND
Most states have leash laws and I'm surprised California doesn't.
We do have a leash law but it is a joke. The police don't want to be bothered with this sort of thing and mostly just hand out warnings.
I want to see SERIOUS fines handed out to those who let their dogs run free. And if found running free a second time the dog is removed from the owner.
I find it strange that most states require that you get a permit to keep harmless wild mammals but anyone can own a 150 pound rottweiler that can kill you in a heart beat. Does that really sound logical to you?
I'm whole heartily for our right to keep animals but my safety, the safety of our children and my RIGHT to walk down my road without being harassed comes first.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:18 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
I know you said you called the police, but did you call Animal Control? I don't think the PD handles animals.

Old 07-04-2005, 03:36 AM   #8
M.Dwight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hulvey
I know you said you called the police, but did you call Animal Control? I don't think the PD handles animals.
In my city animal control is a part of the police department...same thing.
The current animal control system is useless. The proof of this is all the dogs we see on the streets, the thousands of dog bites reported every year and the many deaths from large breeds of dogs. The current system does not educate the public or hand out strong punishment for those who break the law. It is past time for a change. It's time we made dog owners responsible for their pets. If you don't have a enough common sense or care enough to keep your dog off the street then you should not be allowed to own one. This is also to protect the dog...how many dogs get killed by cars every year?
The bottom line is that people who let their dogs run the streets are people who just plain don't care about much of anything....they don't care who their dog may bite or kill...they don't care that a car may hit their dog or someone may shoot it....they don't care that it may crap on or tear up someones lawn....They just don't care...Caring is perhaps the most important human trait...if you don't posses it you shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.

Old 07-04-2005, 05:20 AM   #9
DAND
I'd contact your local City Counsel member and voice your concerns. During this, I'd also ask hot to go about getting such things you are speaking of put on a future ballot.

Old 07-05-2005, 09:12 AM   #10
Ginger Ambrose
While I agree that "some" animals are dangerous, I have to agree that the owners are usually to blame. The owners have to be held responsible for the animals behavior. Just as parents are held responsible for thier childrens behavior.
Would those owners that allow thier dogs to roam at large allow thier children to roam about with out any supervision.
It is all about responsible pet ownership. I have small dogs and I keep them in the house or in my fenced yard as much for thier protection as for the protection of others.
Ginger Ambrose

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!