I'm Scared.....Have I done something wrong? - Page 9 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
KrazySnakeLady
I'm Scared.....Have I done something wrong?

I am so new at this snake stuff. I have this 7 year old ball python that we just got about half a year ago. He had been feeding weekly (3 adult mice) until the beginning of November when he just stopped eating all together. All and any attempts to get him to eat have been futile. We've isolated him in a room and he has two hides, temps are great, humidity is good at 65%. Hot end is 90deg cool end/ambient temp is 87 deg. He has a water bowl that I think he drinks out of. He doesn't look dehydrated. He's shed since he went on his fast once. His nose looks a little crackled, like his skin is dry, but his body is nice and firm and smooth, not wrinkly or dry. He has peed in the last month because I've cleaned up a a few smelly substrate piles of wet. No urate clumps tho.

So here is what I went and did at the advice of some stupid book. We (my husband and I) gently force fed him five pinky mice with forceps. We didn't cause any damage with the forceps because they didn't go down his throat or touch his mouth much. It's just that after doing a bunch of reading, I now know that this type of fasting can be normal during the winter and that snakes can go up to a year without eating. He's lost 30g of his starting weight of 500g. He's small for his age, but otherwise he was healthy up until he stopped eating. And now I've found out that I may have totally screwed everything up by force feeding him these little mice. They all went down smoothly, and he's breathing well and hiding in his cave. His jaw didn't dislocate at all because the mice were so small, so we sorta had to massage his neck a little to get each pinky to move down a bit because he was only trying a little to move it. There wasn't any bleeding, and his mouth looks nice and clean afterwards. Have I totally screwed my snake's WINTER FAST by forcing him to eat these pinkies? Will he just continue to fast and then eat on his own again, or will he get sick now. Obviously he's stressed right now after being fed 5 mice he didn't want to eat, but how long before he'll calm down enough to maybe drink some water or come out of his cave? A few days? AGHHHH!!! We paid good money for this guy and we really love him a lot. have I ruined him?

KSL.