Suggestions for first reptile for 9 year old daughter? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
acecurl16
I'd say:
Snakes in increasing size -- Corn or Thayeri King ... Black Milk ... Dumerils Boa
Lizards in increasing size -- Leopard Gecko or Gargoyle ... Uro .. Blue-Tongue

Old 06-21-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
Lucille
I LOVE bearded dragons. Pretty easy to take care of, most have fairly mellow personalities. And if it's in your budget some have really incredible color these days. Take a look at some of the deep red ones, or the citrus. Some even have some purple.
I visited a home one time where the parents had bought a bearded dragon for their youngster but they kept it in the living room in a HUGE aquarium, grapevine wood, all the extras. So not only was it a family pet but the beautiful habitat was a focal point for the living room.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:40 PM   #13
Reptiles 101
I would have to Say ether a Bearded Dragon, Corn Snake, or Blue Tounge Skink. And if she seems to do ok with one of those maybe when shes older and wants something bigger a Argentine Black and White Tegu but they can be a little feisty when there younger but are like puppy dogs when they mature.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
Jonathan P
Having had some experience with several types of snakes here is my 2 cents from what I experienced. This is my opinion only so no need to take it personal if you disagree. Ball pythons (finicky eaters - need plenty of humidity, tons of color variations), kings (great eaters but a little less tolerant of handling, tons of color variations),corns (nice temperament, make sure they are feeding on mice - of any size, not too picky about setup, tons of color variations), children's python (good eaters, don't grow very large, good temperament, not too picky about setup), Colombian rainbow boa (good eaters, good temperament, not too picky about setup,don't grow too large).

Good luck with whatever your choice. Bottom line for me, if she likes it and stays interested, you did good! She'll help decide from there on. :-)

Old 07-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #15
hollyhox127
I don't have experience with snakes, however, I would suggest either a crested or gargoyle gecko or if she wants something bigger, a blue tongue skink. I have all 3 and my bluey is a northern and is a bit feisty but it's still a baby and getting used to the new surroundings of my home. They mellow out as they get older and turn into sweethearts.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 PM   #16
magrima
I would say go with a nile monitor. Great for kids!

Totally kidding....don't get a nile monitor....my first lizards were schneider skinks and leopard geckos. Very easy to care for. Also had an armadillo lizard, which was my favorite until I got into crocodile skinks and ackies (these two aren't suggestions lol)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!