Brumation Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
PythonWallace
Brumation Question

What do you guys do to lower the temp of your kingsnakes for hibernation? I'm in the midwest, and I don't have an unfinished basement, and the only garage I have access to reeks of chemicals/gasoline. I've thought about building an enclosed rack with a small A/C unit on a thermostat or a wine refridgerator, but I wanted to see what other people do. Thanks

Old 10-19-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
DAND
Well I have an unfinished basement which works perfect for me, but that doesn't sound like it will help you any.

Not knowing what your situation (i.e. house versus apartment) is and the number you are talking about I wouldn't know what to suggest other than a cooler room or by a window.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:06 PM   #3
PythonWallace
I'm in a condo, so I don't have a basement, and my kingsnake partner has a finished basement that is the warmest area in his house. I had some success putting corns right against a window during the winter, but I'd rather not do that. I would onlly need to cool 5 snakes, and not until next year, We just like to plan ahead with stuff like this. Any other ideas?

Old 10-20-2006, 06:23 AM   #4
FunkyRes
I'm going to shut off heat in the snake room, and crack the window.
It drops into the 40s outside here in winter (30s at night) so that should bring the room into 50s.

Old 11-10-2006, 05:54 AM   #5
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyRes
I'm going to shut off heat in the snake room, and crack the window.
It drops into the 40s outside here in winter (30s at night) so that should bring the room into 50s.
I don't think cracking the window in Chicago is an option.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
PythonWallace
No, it will go from 45 to -10 in a 36 hour period here. I tried it one year for a few days and the room dropped way down and there was a half foot of snow on my drafting table. It was in the 40's when I decided to crack the window.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!