physical differences between male/female carpet pythons? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 AM   #1
oxeimon
physical differences between male/female carpet pythons?

I'm just wondering if there are any physical(aesthetic) differences between male and female carpet pythons (in particular, jungle and IJ)

In particular, I'd like to find a python that has a tail that tapers gradually, while also having a relatively small head.

Are these qualities characteristic of either male or females?

thanks,

- will

Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Morelia4life
I don't really think so. A female will get a little bit larger then the male but I think that is about it. The only real way to prove if it is a male or female would be to sex it.

You are wanting to get into Carpets? They are really a great snake to deal with and to keep.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
airtight_python
You will not be able to tell the difference in sex of carpets by looking at them. Carpets make awesome pets, regardless of sex. Every snake has it's own personality however; some more active, some more accepting of interaction, some eat better, etc.

Do some of your own research on morelia subspecies and I think you will like what you see.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
hhmoore
As far as the tail taper, carpets have long(ish) tails...so the taper on a female's tail will be less pronounced than with some other species.
Not really sure what you are looking for as far as head size....it is usually proportionate to the body, unless you are thinking of the "pinhead" look associated with overfeeding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!