sick turtle help.......PLEASE!!!!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
BrianCarner
sick turtle help.......PLEASE!!!!!!

hey i have 5 red eared sliders the smallest has develloped an irritation on both eyes she can open her eyes but is very unconfortable for her. wandering if neone has had a problem like this or just would help with curring the problem
thanks Brian

Old 01-02-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
DAND
If they are all housed together and only one has this problem you may want to isolate that one from the others just in case. The bigger ones may be picking on the smallest. Are any of it's feet or tail looking like they have been nipped at? What are the tank conditions? How often do you change the water? If there is something going on with the water the smallest would most likely be the first to have/show problems.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #3
BrianCarner
i clean the water every couple days(the water is filtered) i use reptisafe to condition the water before putting the turtles in the vet around here are @55holes and tell me its nothing and it will eventually go away. there is no rivalry in the tank ive had all the turtles since they hatched there is no cuts or abrasions in her.
brian

Old 01-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #4
DAND
Question

Well since you made the comment about the vet, my next suggestion is shot to hell. I kept turtles for many years and have never seen what you are describing. I'll talk to some other people I know and see if they have ever had this happen.

Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #5
user*name
sounds like vit a deficency

THey sell a product called turtle eye drops at most bigger pet stores like petco or petsmart. Ive seen this eye irritation alot on RES hatchlings. I would also try exposure to natural sunlight for a few hours every day or uva/uvb lighting. ALso I would apply a small amount of triple antiobiotic( neosporin) on both eyes daily for 5-7 days to treat and/or prevent bacterial infection. Hope this helps.

Old 01-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #6
BrianCarner
thanx ill try it but before i do just wandering what background you have with turtles before i put neosporin in her eyes
brian

Old 01-11-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
DAND
Brian,

Any changes with your turtle's eyes. The people I talked to have never seen or heard of what you are dealing with.

Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 AM   #8
BrianCarner
Its starting to clear up but she still has some disconfort in her yes but its looking a little better
Brian
P.s thanks for all the help

Old 01-14-2005, 01:21 PM   #9
DAND
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianCarner
Its starting to clear up but she still has some disconfort in her yes but its looking a little better
Brian
P.s thanks for all the help
Glad to hear it's starting to clear. Hopefully it'll all go away soon. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2005, 06:10 PM   #10
kevk
i've seen it along with small white skin blotches on hatchlings.i've heard it can be caused by dirty water or temperature changes(water temp gets too cold).a friend of mine use to use diluted ick treatment for fish and soak the turtle for 15 minutes a day in it.it was like 5 drops to 1 gallon of water in a small container then he would sit the turtle out for 15 minutes more in a dry container then return to its normal tank.hope this helps you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!