Mamba rescue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-27-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
snakegetters
Mamba rescue

I spent a very long and exhausting day doling out antibiotics, mouth cleanup and pain meds to a load of severely abused imported mambas. They have been crudely de-fanged (though in only one case with actual success on both sides) and their mouths look like they have bitten into a live grenade, with shattered and protruding lower jaw bones. The lighting I had to work under was not so good, so I'm not too optimistic about how the photos turned out. I'll be posting some from the vet clinic in a few days as I have the time.

The three worst cases (two blacks and a Jameson's) went home with me so that they can recieve intensive daily care and operations in the clinic. I wish it could have been more but space and personal budget are only going to stretch so far. *sigh* I left the rest with a buttload of antibiotics and a shot of pain meds and I'll check back up on them when I can drive down there again. If I am very very lucky I may be able to offload these guys when they are well recovered for something like half or a third of what it cost to put them back together.

If anyone wants an educational opportunity in Central Florida, a limited number of spectators (like, one or two) can be allowed into the vet hospital when we work on these guys. Veterinarians, vet students, vet assistants and techs get first dibs.

If you are interested in such things, you can support the ongoing venomous snake rescue efforts by purchasing one of our snake safety training manuals - www.snakegetters.com/doc/ I'm thinking of setting up an "Adopt A Mamba" donation program, where donators (licensed and qualified) can actually take the snake home. There's a limit to the number of mambas I can personally house, and this is not the first load that have come in like this.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #2
screamdreams
I sincerely applaud your efforts

It's nice to see good people doing great things for animals that have fallen into the hands of "not so good" people. Keep up the great work, and you should be applauded. To me, if even one of these animals improve - that's a rewarding day at work Best wishes to you.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #3
snakegetters
Update

Good news from the clinic! The prognosis is excellent on all three patients.

Slide show of pics from the vet hospital here: http://www.snakegetters.com/demo/mamba/

Old 05-08-2004, 10:50 AM   #4
snakegetters
I've posted a preliminary update on the web page on how the mambas are doing after treatment. www.snakegetters.com/demo/mamba/update.html

The upshot is that the black mamba in the most critical condition died from what appears to be hemolytic anemia secondary to general debilitation and opportunistic overgrowth of a Hepatozoon parasite. The other black mamba is 100% recovered, feeding voluntarily and looking magnificent. The Jameson's needed sutures to close tissue over the exposed bone as it was not healing properly, and got switched to a different antibiotic for 20 days. She is still being assist fed to avoid trauma to the stitches, but her prognosis looks pretty good.

Old 05-08-2004, 12:02 PM   #5
psilocybe
Tanith,

I'm so sorry to hear about the polylepis that died, it's so tragic when an animal as regal and majestic as that dies due to human ignorance and cruelty. I'm of course not just talking about snakes, but any animal...

I have to applaud you for your selfless and dedicated work in trying and rehabilitating these animals. Many people would not take the time an effort "to save a snake". My interest in snakes (and venomous) is not entirely in a veterinary aspect (but a bit of general knowledge on the subject is always good to know, which your website doles out quite adequitely), but I still find your work very interesting and informative. Keep up the crusade Tanith, these animals are very lucky to fall into your hands.

AP

Old 05-08-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
psilocybe
Just realized my message highly resembled a previous posters message Still, my sentiment is the same

AP

Old 05-11-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
snakegetters
The Jameson's accepted a live mouse today. The sutures have healed over very well. She's looking great and should be ready to go to a new home soon.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:35 AM   #8
Mustangrde1
Tanith so not fair mentioning that where i can read it or worse Alison can. You know our love of mambas its just not fair lol. Great Job as usuall on your rescue. The other one is doing incredable and Aunty Venom needs to come visit her soon she has doubled in body girth and her face is looking much better.

Old 05-12-2004, 04:06 PM   #9
snakegetters
A wildlife center wants the Jameson's, but the 7' black mamba male is available. I'd have to get a fair market price for it to help compensate for its vet bills.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!