Sniff your snake. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #1
thesnakeman
Talking Sniff your snake.

I know it sounds a bit silly, but bare with me. Before I tell you what to expect, I'd like you all to try this and post your results. That way, we''ll get a better picture of what's happening. Like I said, I know it sounds silly, and maybe a bit strange, but trust me,...there is a scientific motive to this. I have done this, and it has caused me to develope a theory. I'm not alone either.

Now heres what you do. The next time you have a warm, bright, sunny day, take your Indigo out of it's enclosure. Now give it a good thourough sniffing. Once you have it set in your mind what the snake smells like, take it outside and let it soak up some sun for 5-15 minutes. Now pick up the snake, and take another wiff. Now come back inside, put away the snake, and post your results here. Let's see if my theory holds water. Now stop laughing, and get to it!
T.

Old 03-27-2005, 02:44 PM   #2
thesnakeman
I'm serious guys, do it!

nopost

Old 05-27-2005, 04:29 PM   #3
thesnakeman
Exclamation One more time,...

O.K., I'm not getting any response so, stubborn as I am, Iv'e decided to tell you all what this post is all about.

Iv'e noticed that when I take my Couperi outside, and let them cruise around the yard, their scent changes. And it gets stronger. But NOT unpleasent. They seem to exude a snakey, but sweet smell. And no, it's not defensive musk either. It does not eminate from the cloacal region. Instead, it seems to exude from the skin, all over. However, I have witnessed the big male twisting his tail, and the lower half of his body and dragging it sideways from time to time as he sniffs his way around the yard. He seems to be scent marking.

What's the point of all this, you may ask? Well, it's obvious that some physiological change is taking place whenever they go outside. Therefore, it begs the questions,...What is causing this change, and is this change something which is benificial or necessary to their health, well being, or even fertility?

Here's what I think, and please feel free to argue with me on this,...But I think that exposure to natural sunlight is what causes this change. And I will further venture to say that I think since it causes such an imediate, and noticeable change, and since they are colored black, which suggests that they have a natural propensity for soaking up the sun, that it may very well be a necessity for them. In recent years, we have found out that some reptiles require daily exposure to natural sunlight, or ultra violet light, in order to maintain proper metabolism. How do we know that this is not the case for Indigos? What if I'm right? Could this be an improtant factor in maintaining a high fertility rate in captive specimens? Maybe. That's why I'd like others to take note of this thread, and help me to explore the possibilities of this issue. Some will argue that they give their snakes high quality UV bulbs in their cages, and have noticed nothing. Perhaps just because the manufacturer says it does provide the right stuff, doesn't necessarily make it true. And perhaps it's not the sunlight at all. Maybe it's just from being in contact with mother earth. Animals are atuned to things which we cannot percieve. Especialy snakes! Whatever the cause, there is most definately a change.

As for me, and my kids,...we go outside and cruise around the yard every chance I can give them. They seem to be healthier, and happier for it. And I know they look forward to it. So if you are having fertility issues with your Indigos, try it and see what happens. Even if you are having good luck, or your animals are too young to breed, or you never intend to breed them, you should try it anyway. Do we not owe it to them to answere every possible question about their needs? This may sound a bit dramatic but,...I know hindsight is 20/20. But if a species goes extinct,... it's probably too late for hindsight. Let's answere ALL the questions NOW!
T.

Old 05-28-2005, 12:05 PM   #4
Douglas Taylor
Regardless of whether it's of benefit for the snakes, it's clear you spoil your snakes rotten. Well done.

Doug T

Old 05-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
WebSlave
Heck, I believe Indigo snakes have a rather unique odor to them. A long while back my wife and I were in a plant nursery near Englewood, Florida, looking at the tropical plants (this place was kind of off the beaten track) and we reached a spot with a noticeable distinctive odor in the air. We both smelled it at the same time and looked at each other and said "Indigo!" at the same time. Yeah, there probably was one nearby, for sure.

Thinking about these critters ALMOST makes me want to move out of Florida so I could have them again.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:58 PM   #6
Max Peterson
Interesting...

I don't currently have any indigos here (my last ones went out on temp. loan).
I have noticed that different species of snakes have specific odors.
I'll sniff an indigo next time I get a chance
Cheers!
Max
Kinda curious as to why no one really responded...???

Old 01-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
thesnakeman
Wink

Aw some! It really tickles me to have somebody finally respond! I have a developing theory on this matter.,... I have also witnessed some drymarchon, males more so than females, like to crawl through their own feces. Ive seen my male uni do this MANY times. And Ive also noticed a tendency for them to immediately defecate, after being returned to a freshly cleaned cage. My thought is that snakes, being within the realm of scent perception that they are, are also quite adept, and prolific at scent delivery. I believe that they do this on purpose, much like other animals, marking their territory. Although, in the case of couperi, I would suggest that they are more marking a trail, for future reference. They follow a scent trail, to know where they have been, where they haven't been, and who else has. So they have adapted the ability to make a good trail, as well as find them. I would further surmise that this has played a significant role in the decline of this species in the wild, as roads, man, and his infernal contraptions, continue to break up these trails, and natural patterns. Scent trails may not be quite as noticeable during the summer/feeding months due to the increased rains, and decreased needs to find each other. And I believe further investigation to be warrented. I would also say, that I believe the dermal scent I observed exuding from my animals, to be triggered by some outdoor stimuli, such as natural sunlight. If this is the case, then it would seem to suggest that the natural sunlight plays a role in the snakes mating metabolism, which we do not yet fully understand. What say the brethren on that?
T.

Old 01-22-2006, 01:51 AM   #8
Max Peterson
Scratch & sniff snakes...

I was discussing stuff with Sighthunter this evening & we got around to the subject of Vit D3 actually being a hormone & cross referenced this & came up with the idea that the smell you're smelling may be the release of the hormone due to "photosynthesis" of the snakes!
I wonder if my Naja's would do the same?
Anyone sniff any cobras...lately?

Old 01-22-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
thesnakeman
Wink

Max,
Normally, photosynthesis is a process associated with plants. However, I firmly believe that there is a physiological response in indigos, and many other snakes, directly related to the exposure of sunlight. It's obvious that some type of change is taking place. What we need to find out, is the extent of that change. How deeply does this exposure effect them, and is it necessary for the completion of any bodily functions. Personally, I think so. But we need more people trying this. And more people should try this with other species as well. Although I'd be careful with hots!

Tell Bill I said "HI", and he can call me any time. You too. Bill has my number. Get some other people to try this also! Thanks a bunch,
T.

Old 01-22-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Chris Kennard
No offense snakeman....

I read your posts and enjoy them. Some people may not have answered due to the lack of ability to participate. It is not warm enough in some areas to take any snake outside. Even though some are not responding to you, they are probably reading, and enjoying, this thread. Theoretical discussions are often the most interesting and entertaining.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!