Roatan/Honduran breeding ? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #11
tarantulakeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
I tried and failed miserably to check by date. Roatan returns nothing. Firebelly returns nothing. I guess I'll never figure this search stuff out. LOL

Got a link?

Rick
Here's a link to Russo's site. He shows availability at $1000 a pair.
http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/boaco...erator&UID=115

And here's the link to KnS
http://www.k-n-sreptiles.com/available.html
His are $450
John

Old 09-01-2006, 06:49 AM   #12
crotalusadamanteus
Thanks for the links. I'll be checking them out after work later on.

Rick

Old 09-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #13
Laura Fopiano
Mine are what have been referred to as "tiger's" They have the bright red bellies with 1/3 patternless dorsal and neck stripping. I really look forward to proving these traits out in 2 years.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM   #14
Metachrosis
Glades Herps are the only ones Ive ever heard of selling Honduran BCI under the name TIGER BOA.
If you have,
One Pure form Roatan
One Pure form Mainland
One mixed island X mainland mutt
From birth to 2 year sub-adult stages,the Pure form Roatan can and will be easily picked from the lot.As would the Island X Mainland mutt.It would be helpfull to have some working knowledge of each form before hand,but even a novice with a few pointers can clearly see the differences.
Same applies for the other Island forms like the Hog and Corn Islands.Just look at a true form verse a Hypo X and the others that extend/scatter out from there.
Do the math so to speak . . . . . . .
Head mass
Body mass
Eye orbit
Scale counts etc,etc
You cant sit on some forum and argue Taxo,Breeder name dropping BS with the alledge educated.
Just do your homework and purchaseing True Island form BCI like any other BCI/BCC isnt very difficult.

People that want it handed to them on a silver platter generally get what they invest their efforts in.

M/

Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #15
crotalusadamanteus
Talked with Dennis Sargent today, and he mentioned Glades getting some of the early firebelly stock. Are they still producing them pure, or crossing them?

Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 PM   #16
Metachrosis
Dennis (to my knowledge) was never a supplier to Glades.
Not out of the question by any means.But I do know for a fact that Glades supplier was Dennis' supplier when Dennis first aquired Honduran BCI.I hate the name dropping BS,but its hard to explain in forum context without such.

Suffice to say......Thank You Tom Crutchfield!

M/

Old 09-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #17
Metachrosis
Sorry for the gap.
I did not mean to say Dennis was originally supplied by
Tom Crutchfield.Dennis was futher down the food chain.There are other players involved that fill that gap.
Dennis just coined the FB phrase,he wasnt the first to reproduce the strain in culture.

M/

Old 09-02-2006, 12:31 AM   #18
tarantulakeeper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metachrosis

From birth to 2 year sub-adult stages,the Pure form Roatan can and will be easily picked from the lot.As would the Island X Mainland mutt.It would be helpfull to have some working knowledge of each form before hand,but even a novice with a few pointers can clearly see the differences.
Do the math so to speak . . . . . . .
Head mass
Body mass
Eye orbit
Scale counts etc,etc

Just do your homework and purchaseing True Island form BCI like any other BCI/BCC isnt very difficult.

People that want it handed to them on a silver platter generally get what they invest their efforts in.

M/
Some of the above is beyond my current knowledge level, but I'm always eager to learn. Is working knowledge available from published works or is it pretty much a hands-on type of learning?
I know one thing I've gleaned from hanging around the past year is to buy from reputable breeders. Metachrosis, are you producing mainline Honduran babies or do you know someone who is? And what's the best way to get started on my homework? I spent some time looking at maps this evening and see that Honduras, Nicaragua, Belize, etc are all land connected and I see the island that Roaton is on. So, I can see why the emphasis is there to breed pure.
I've spent some time looking over the websites I have found so far related to BCI, especially boa-constrictors.com. As I said earlier, I'll continue to look for a mainland Honduran and appreciate any guidence in learning about these boas. Thanks, John

Old 09-02-2006, 07:57 AM   #19
crotalusadamanteus
I din't mean to suggest that Dennis supplied them. Sorry if it came across that way. He was just telling me that they did aquire some early stock. I think everyone knows Tom Crutchfield was the man. LOL

Sorry if I confused anyone.

tarantulakeeper..............

Actually, there are true form firebellies from the mainland as well, but only from the norther coast of Honduras that I am aware of. And also, not all Roatans are firebellies. They have some with grey bellies as well. But still very much a Roatan boa.

Seeing as I just learned that, thought I'd share.

Rick

Old 09-02-2006, 10:27 AM   #20
Laura Fopiano
From what I understand Nick Gancaraz was one of the folks who had a proven line of Hondo's and lost most everything he had after hurricane Charlie hit 3 years ago.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!