questions about permits for Eastern Indigos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 PM   #1
monkeywrench133
questions about permits for Eastern Indigos

I'm thinking about getting an Eastern Indigo, and have been trying to figure out what federal permit I'll need. As far as I can tell, the permit required is the "captive born wildlife" (cbw) permit, but what is confusing me is the permit fee. The permit fee is $200, but all the posts I've read have said the fee is $100, so I'm wondering if I'm looking at the right one. Also, is it one permit per animal or transaction? Thanks!

Old 10-18-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Rivets55
Your best bet is to call Victoria Davis. Her number is on www.indigosnakes.com
She's the Czar of ICC permits, and will answer any questions.

Regarsd,

JPD

Old 10-18-2006, 10:24 AM   #3
BWSmith
Federally, all you need is an Interstate Commerce permit if you are getting one shipped across state lines. If you get one from within your state, the permit is not required.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:11 PM   #4
thesnakeman
Wink First of all,....

What state are you in? Some states won't allow it, and some require a state permit.

Second,...The only Federal permit you would need is an {{{Interstate Commerce Permit}}}. And you only need that if you are acquiring an eastern indigo. And only if you buy it from somebody outside of your State. If these conditions apply to you, then go to www.indigosnakes.com , and click on "Permits". There you will find everything you need. Forget everything else.
T.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:28 PM   #5
monkeywrench133
Thanks for the info!

I'm in Arizona, and I've already checked with Game&Fish, they don't regulate or require permits for Easterns. As far as I can tell, AZ doesn't regulate any non-native species.

I don't know who I'll be buying from, but I haven't heard of anyone here in AZ breeding Easterns, so I'm just trying to get educated before I start approaching out of state breeders.

Unless anyone knows of a breeder in AZ? PM me if you do.

Old 10-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #6
thesnakeman
There is someone in New Mexico I think, can't recall his name. And there's a gal in Az with a new group of Texans. Other than that,...I do not know.
T.

Old 10-18-2006, 04:29 PM   #7
monkeywrench133
I know who you're talking about with the new group of Texans, I've read some of her comments on here. And unless something has drastically changed, I'd rather not do business with her.

How's your waiting list look for next year?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
thesnakeman
I won't have any next year. I'm giving her the year off. She did well, 2 years in a row, so now it's time for a break. And you would not like the price anyway. I'm going to charge double for out of state sales because of the associated hassles. Sorry bro. Complain to the Feds. They need to know what their regulations and fees have caused.
T.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:52 PM   #9
monkeywrench133
Well, the feds wouldn't have to be involved if you just gave me a couple. From what I've read, you don't need a permit for "gifts"

Old 10-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
thesnakeman
Well,....read the post entitled " Kill All The Lawyers Ecxept Ours". And click on the link that Jeff posted there. It takes you to a Fed Fax sheet. Then scroll down to the paragraph on loans and gifts. When I read that, it says to me that loans and gifts don't require a permit. But when I enquired directly to the Feds about a loan, they told me I'd have to get not one, but multiple permits. So I wonder if "gifts" are really exempt or not. According to them, if there is any "future" commerce associated with the loan it requires a permit. And "Gifts" fall under the same paragraph so,...It looks to me like they just change the rules as they go along.

Keep looking, you'll find what you want. It takes some time and effort, but we that have indigos had to jump through those same hoops ourselves. Good luck,
T.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!