personal opinion on specific uro species - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-01-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
rinoa0587
Question personal opinion on specific uro species

in your personal opinion which species of uromastyx is the best in terms of caring for them, size, and tameness. sorry this is kind of broad but at all of the care sheets they just lump care for uro's together as opposed to alowing different species to be compared. thanks for any opinions, i plan on getting a uro later in life and want to start planing and researching now.
*ash

Old 07-01-2004, 09:56 AM   #2
Gromph Baenre
In my experiences thus far, Malis make very good pets. I have two malis and their personalites are much more outgoing then the personality of the one lone Saharan I have. If either of my malis are in their respective hides, I can walk up to the enclosure, raise my voice to a decent level, and both will come out to investigate. My saharan, on the other hand, will run when approaching his enclosure. He was a semi rescue, plus adult when I procured him. I believe this explains why he is a bit skittish. My two malis were procured at very young ages, and baring their initial acclimation period, were handled several times weekly. These are the only two types I can comment on, with my own experiences. Egyptians are reported to have very good personalites as well, and as soon as my finances permit, I will be procuring a pair of these.
Overall, I prefer my malis over my bearded dragons, and would recommend them to any experienced reptile keeper.
On a personal note, I commend you on doing the research before procuring one.
If you have any further questions, please post. Have a most excellent day.

Best regards,

Carson Grindstaff

Old 07-01-2004, 10:26 AM   #3
rinoa0587
thanks

i don't know of any other questions i have at the moment because now i can do a species specific search. thanks for the opinion and i like your use of english, i wish i had a broad knowledge of vocabualry but i have a really bad memory.
*ash

Old 07-16-2004, 02:25 AM   #4
Glenn Bartley
I recently asked essentially the same questions of a friend of mine who breeds various lizards to include bearded dragons, Leos, and various less common and some rare gecko species. He is also getting into Uros and has bred Sudanese Uros (which he believes to be on the shy side). His recommendations to me were that: while Nigers and Malis are fine, he seemingly thought Ornates were among the best. According to him: Ornates are one of the smaller Uros, and are one of the more colorful, and are also one of the best Uros as far as their not being shy and their being willing to be handled. He strongly recommends captive bred, as do I, unless you are pretty experienced with wild caught herps and the potential problems that may bring to you.

An intereststing site dedicated to Uros isThe Uromastyx Homepage . It has lots of info and photos to wade through.
Hope this was helpful.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!