Road cruising in Arizona - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #1
bcmaddox
Road cruising in Arizona

I just moved to Avondale Arizona was wondering if anyone knew of any good roads to cruise for snakes? Thanks

Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 AM   #2
RossCA
One thing I've learned over the years is the AZ crowd is very secretive about giving out roads or spots over a public forum. The reason why is so many people from out of state head there every year during the monsoon and lots of popular roads have become flooded with herpers. Your best bet would be to download google earth and find roads in your area. Drive out to them and see how they look. It may not feel like it right now but in the end there's nothing better than finding your own spots without any help. Its much more rewarding then having someone point it out to you. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:13 AM   #3
bcmaddox
That would explain the lack of replies . thanks so much for the advice .

Old 10-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
RossCA
No problem.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Sang
alot of people that do field herping also collect to sell, that is why they don't discuss areas to go, they are land rapers and clear the area out of species... this is a very bad practice...

if your looking for places in avondale, take bell road past the 303... there is an area up there.. usually find the banded geckos, night snakes, desert hairy's devils striped tail scorps, mojave's and atrox, fence lizards...

depends on what your looking for but don't even dare collecting on south mountain allthough there is a TON of stuff out there...

areas east of AJ are good right off the road past the reinnesance fair grounds...

the white tanks..

saguaro lake at night after the rains you can find flagstaff orange tarantulas....

thats about the areas i like to look for the most part.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
bcmaddox
depends on what your looking for but don't even dare collecting on south mountain allthough there is a TON of stuff out there...

Why should I not do this?????

Old 01-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
keepergale
South Mountain is a city park. All wildlife etc is fully protected in the park.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Amelanistic Orca
Brian, hit me up bra. I got some "ideas" for you sir!

Old 04-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
rapturereptiles
Like he said there are lots of people herping in az. Most of us don't let other people know about hot spots, and it is not safe at all to walk around in the desert with out a someone who has experience! There are many clubs that go out on events with great results.. we just don't want to be the one who told someone new to go look in a good place and find out later they died from a rattle snake bite or even worse got lost in the desert and ran out of water...

Try here. It's a great way to start and monthly meetings are held

http://www.azreptiles.com/

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!