Ohio ban bill to list all venomous, and all constrictors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
EricWI
Ohio ban bill to list all venomous, and all constrictors

(c) An alligator;

(d) A crocodile;

(e) A constricting snake;

(f) A venomous snake;

(g) Any other animal designated by the chief in rules adopted under this section.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/B...B_352_I_N.html

Old 10-22-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
minguss
Come every one.
These allegations should be huge deal to every one here.
Time to start the lobbying

Old 10-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
scarnicom
Why are they sooooooo incredibly stupid?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarnicom View Post
Why are they sooooooo incredibly stupid?

It's the way they seem to do things here in Ohio.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
HyenaGirl
This really is a travesty if it passes. I was born and raised in Ohio and moved out of state when I was 24. I loved Ohio for it's non-governing animal husbandry in the counties. Ohio is a HUGE hub for non-conventional animals and livestock. If this proposal passes, it would have a massive effect on an already dismal economy. Tons of people own lions and other large carnivores in the state, many have injured or escaped and in the past the owner was dealt with, not the entire market since it is pretty vital to the Ohio economy. I'm calling up people for sure on this.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
BobOblak
I bought my first boas, pythons, monitors, tegus, caiman, etc from local pet stores in Milwaukee WI in 1965. Since then local pet stores here and all over the country have been continually selling these animals. Now all of a sudden they will all be illegal to own. Isnt this like allowing drug dealers to openly sell drugs, but its illegal for the user to buy them? Why isn't the criteria for regulation whether or not they are freely available at retail? Big Carnivores, venomous, yes-no pet stores sell those anyway and it is not a pitfall for the owner. Nonvenomous reptiles, whether constrictors or not, are out there in huge numbers. That makes for a lot of new criminals to feed into the justice and prison system, disenfranchise, and further empower the ruling class of neocons into an electoral majority.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
sea-aggie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOblak View Post
Why isn't the criteria for regulation whether or not they are freely available at retail? Big Carnivores, venomous, yes-no pet stores sell those anyway and it is not a pitfall for the owner.

Whoa...this is a pretty arbitrary line. ALL exotic animal owners should be working TOGETHER. Ideas like this, however benign they seem to you, is exactly the result the AR groups want. Divide and conquer.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Shadera
Anyone hear anything from USARK yet? I've got the fax fired up and am ready to fight.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
SamanthaJane13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-aggie View Post
Whoa...this is a pretty arbitrary line. ALL exotic animal owners should be working TOGETHER. Ideas like this, however benign they seem to you, is exactly the result the AR groups want. Divide and conquer.

Exactly!!

There is a very famous old quote-from way back in WWII-that sort of applies.

"When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out."

-Friedrich Gustav Emil Martin Niemöller-

Substitute different animal species for the different ideological/religious/political references, and you'll see what I mean.

We have to do our very best to employ GOOD HABITS in keeping our animals, and give exotic keeping a GOOD NAME, or they could ALL be taken away.

RESPONSIBILITY FIRST!!

And we all have to stick together-regardless of the types of animals we keep!!

Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOblak View Post
Why isn't the criteria for regulation whether or not they are freely available at retail?
That's a horrible proposal. Most reptiles are not widely available for purchase, would you really want the ownership of most reptiles illegalized?