Woma not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-02-2014, 09:31 PM   #1
katrinwoody
Question Woma not eating

Hey,

so I have a rather unusual problem. My 2-year-old male woma has decided to drastically reduce his eating habits. He was happily eating one small f/t rat every week until this past June. Then he showed no interest in eating, actually would drastically move away from the food, which I had attributed to mating (weird time of year, but that was all I could think of). Since then, he has eaten one small rat maybe once every 6 weeks, but behaves normal. I'm thinking about starting to weigh him so that I can make sure he isn't malnourished, but do you think this is something I should be concerned about? He's just over 4' long now, 2 years old this fall (2014). Lately he shows interest in the food, he will smell it and check it out, but won't eat it. Won't eat in his feeding tank, won't eat in his normal enclosure, my next step is to try giving him live food. I hadn't changed anything when he started acting this way. Does anyone else have a woma who refuses food, or who can shed light on my situation?

Please and thank you!
Katrinwoody
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #2
j_dunlavy
I have 4 womas, and while I experience a lack of desire to eat this time of year, June is a bit early.
Sometimes I can get them to take food if I tease them with it a bit or pet their back with it to trigger a feeding response.
Also, double check the temps in your enclosure and make sure they are stable; if the temps have been dropping a lot at night that may be part of the issue.

Anytime I try to get a snake back on his feed, and I did this with ball pythons but I would do the same with a woma, I used the largest fuzzy rat I could find that still had his eyes shut (to prevent injury to the snake). I would leave it in the cage at night and if the snake ate it I would thaw him out another meal the following day. This seemed to do the trick most of the time.
Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
food, woma python