Chicken legs - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Mutimbo
Chicken legs

I have heard different places of people feeding chicken legs to Retics and Burms. I was wondering if anyone here had tried this?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Runtzz
I did talk to a guy that i knew and he said he was feeding his green anaconda(8-9ft) raw chicken.. If that's true I can't say

Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #3
Helenthereef
I do it regularly, and it works well as a muscle/bone supplement.

For example, I live somewhere without a supply of clean rodents, so I feed my snakes 1 to 10-day old chicks (which they love). However I want them to have more muscle, skin and bone than these young birds can offer, so every other feed I follow up with chicken portions - legs or wings.

Some of my snakes will take them as offered, others I insert the chicken pieces under the legs of the whole chick and they just keep on swallowing.

Been doing it for years. all seems well. However it cannot replace feeding entire animals most regularly, and if you have a good supply of rodents I don't see any reason to do it.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
RegenerationReptiles
I supplement most of my animals diets with chicken, whole or in parts. Some of the larger ones will get wings or drumsticks. The smallest animal I have that will take chicken is my pygmy rattlesnake and I'll give him small pieces every now and then.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
Keith Stambaugh
I've done frozen thawed chicken wings, legs and breast strips with my Burms. Just depends on the snake and I've only done this to get rid of unwanted frozed stuff. I agree that it may not be best as the primary diet but it's still chicken and can't hurt.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Metachrosis
Not a thing wrong with feeding raw poultry to boides.
Ive fed my Central American BCI whole disjointed wing pieces for many years,when I had larger Colombians I fed whole leg quarters and they hammered them.
Most had to be converted to accept the offering but once they got it they stayed on it without the scenting.
Feeding chicken pieces is not an ideal "whole prey" food item,well established animals do not require a strict whole prey diet to thrive as Ive seen it argued many times.
Big fat leg quarters have more meat and bone then that of comparable rat portions of equal mass weight.

Those needing abit of help getting lined out with this process just drop me a PM and you too can do this . . . . .

Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Metachrosis
Yes crappy vid from an old camera,the animal in the vid is a 3yr old Hog Island BCI
She is abit over 9yrs now and still pounding the yard bird when offered

Pics acouple years old but she looks about the same today,she is just over 5' in length now.

Old 10-09-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
GHC Exotics
The primary foods at my facility, that I feed to our display animals, and sell to our customers are Chicks, Quail, and Chickens. The animals all have a much better muscle tone rather than being fed other items that have more fats in them
That being said though, personally, with all the additives in a lot of the poultry that you would just buy at a supermarket, I wouldn't feed it unless you have a supply of organic feeders. Just my two cents

Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Robert Walker
Great thread!! I learned some cool stuff today, thanks everyone. Wish I had something bigger than ball pythons to give it a try.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Some of my snakes will take them as offered, others I insert the chicken pieces under the legs of the whole chick and they just keep on swallowing.
This is a cool idea. The snakes don't jerk away or freak out by you getting close to them while they finish swallowing?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!