about siklback and their husbandry - Page 37 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 PM   #361
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
The name Pogona is itself relatively new. Before Glen Storr of the Western Australian Museum assigned these lizards this name, in 1982, they were lumped into the genus Amphibolorus with a number of other Australian agamid species.

http://www.smuggled.com/pogona1.htm
Thank you, Jean.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 PM   #362
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladragon
This concerns me even more than when I read in the middle of the night that Adenovirus had been found in a boa.
What I was wondering (as I only have experience with the EM method) was, is the collection of feces done at home? If so, isn't it highly possible that the contamination of the sample started there, therefore causing a positive result?
I've heard people wonder the same thing about the EM testings, collection causing a negative result.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:39 PM   #363
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Yeah, pretty bad! As if IBD isn't bad enough...

Tracie

Old 07-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #364
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Yeah, Sherri, it is a huge possibility of the contamination being started at home with the samples, if they were not done properly, etc.

Tracie

Old 07-11-2007, 02:52 PM   #365
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
Hello,

Yeah, Sherri, it is a huge possibility of the contamination being started at home with the samples, if they were not done properly, etc.

Tracie
So, it's a huge possibility that we aren't even close to finding out if Adeno is in ALL bearded dragons?

With that being said, the update still had a lot of great info and it seemed we all were waiting anxiously for it to come out but now that it's out and it tells us that even though they think that a big number of dragons have it, to still test, this being ignored. There is nothing that says definitively that ALL dragons have it. Not even close.
So, we make the mistake of breeding without testing therefore spreading this virus even further and now we want to create a mutation that doesn't have scales?

Does this make sense? Isn't there other lucritive ways to make money out there? We have to pick on an exotic animal to make our house, car, boat payments?

It's not right.

Old 07-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #366
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Totally agree! Until everything is figured out with the Adeno & the % of the population that actually has it, etc, then, the best we have is it just test, NO questions asked. If you don't test, then you really have no idea & that isn't right either.
If a breeder is not going to take the responsibility of testing each one of their breeders, then, they need to stop breeding & quit adding to the adeno population. I mean, aren't dogs, cats, & horses that are pedigreed, all certified disease free at the time of purchase? Well, why can't dragons have some type of standard like that? They deserve that. We should not be continuing to breed without testing, it is that simple, & then in the meantime, trying to create a new morphs to add into the mix when we don't even know how things are going to play out with this particular species!
I honestly do not believe that ALL dragons have it, otherwise, there wouldn't be people's dragons that have tested negative. However, there are a good number of them that do because it has spread so much.

Tracie

Old 07-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #367
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
What I was wondering (as I only have experience with the EM method) was, is the collection of feces done at home? If so, isn't it highly possible that the contamination of the sample started there, therefore causing a positive result?
I've heard people wonder the same thing about the EM testings, collection causing a negative result.
Okay. After speaking with someone who has completed PCR testing many times, this is my understanding of things.

Some labs require both a cloacal wash and a poo sample, some labs only require the poo sample. I'm sure there are other things, too, but these are all I was informed of.

If the lab you use only accepts submissions from the vet, and they require the both the poo sample and the cloacal wash, you bring the dragon and a recent poo sample from that dragon to the vet with you. You give the recent poo sample to the vet. The vet performs a cloacal wash or swab, along with anything else vets do.

If the lab you use will accept submissions from individuals (which it is also my understanding the University of Florida did until recently, and I'm not sure if this protocol has changed yet), you send in your poo sample.

It is also my understanding that the poo is not required to be frozen, as it is in EM fecals.

To me, this indicates that the potential exists for many false POSITIVES in the PCR testing, particularly if one wanted it to appear that there were more positives than what there really are.

I don't know...you decide.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #368
puppytoes72
sandi0906 on BD.org and i share the same vet.she had an appt with him last night and i asked her to say hi to him for me.well today we have pm'd back and forth a couple times discussing what dr sean had to say about her beardie and i also asked if she said hi for me and she said that he had a look on his face like"oh boy whats wrong with her beardie now!?".so i sent a pm back to her and asked her what he said,this was her pm back to me: "lol no he was just laughing he knows ur having so many different issues with jojo, i think hes intrigued by her to be honest. about his tail i dont know it could be why he wags it lol maybe he thinks its going to grow back lol but he said a good 2-3 inches was off it lol and stupid me when looking at others pictures i would always tell jack humm sandi has a short tail its not long like the others lol which also means sandi is older than i thought he was. and jojo is going to get the ^6<~~~ extra finger of hope lol on her next fecel . gosh i hope so i know she feels miserable on that crap. and because of jojo we discussed adeno and he believes its from inbreeding hes strongly believes that. we also talked bout the silkbacks and he feels as we do , he says thats setting up more deaths for beardies." just to clear things up i asked her permission to copy/paste her PM here and she said yes.she had no idea about this fauna thread (or "fauna" for that matter).i suppose she saw the thread on BD.org and decided to ask the vet about it.

Old 07-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #369
puppytoes72
It's been very quiet on this thread for almost 2 weeks now.The last thing discussed was a very interesting deal put on the table by Vickie.Denise,have you heard from the person you entrusted your test results with?

Old 07-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #370
Valley Dragons
I too would like to hear more about Denise's results. It seems that it should be relatively simple to have them verified by an impartial party. I'm surprised that Denise has not yet stepped up to Vicky's challenge. If it were me, I'd have the freakin' test results posted everywhere possible so that the truth could be seen by all!

Jamie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread