about siklback and their husbandry - Page 41 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #401
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
Yes, we are and maybe that is naive, but I still take people at their word. Maybe I DO need to grow up.

That's wonderful news. I know Berts dragons are not from the U.S. and hasn't been inbred so these are going to be some awsomely healthy dragons.......I'm so excited over this!!!!! I think you'll be a fantastic beardie breeder!
Sooo...Bert does not work with color lines at all? I did not realize that. Good to know!

Jamie

Old 07-23-2007, 12:20 PM   #402
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker75
Because you and others are claiming to be healthy nor neg or positive which is it?
WHAT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker75
It is not all about the money for the test... you get real and quit being the drama spokes model queen test your animls and post the results
Why the heck am I being called a spokemodel? A spokesmodel for what? Or should I say whom?

Jamie

Old 07-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #403
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Bert has great looking dragons, & he really does not do any color morphs. His line of thinking as far as breeding is very different than most here in the US.
Go check out his site: www.agamainternational.com if you haven't.

Tracie

Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #404
walker75
tracie

thank you for that link

and

Shap congratulations and I am very happy for your daughter I know she will be an asset to the bearded dragon community and I wish her all the best for her and the colony. great purchase great reseach she has done her home work you must be proud of her

Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #405
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drache613
Hello,

Bert has great looking dragons, & he really does not do any color morphs. His line of thinking as far as breeding is very different than most here in the US.
Go check out his site: www.agamainternational.com if you haven't.

Tracie
Okay...Per the Agama International's website:

http://www.agamainternational.com/pa...deddragon.html

"We purchased our bearded dragons from several US breeders. The problem we were faced with was the fact that they did not handle cold as well in winter as we would like it. We are always striving to get hardy species, that can be kept outdoors without using electricity. That is better for the environment and saves us money too. Therefore we needed many years to select out all the hardy ones, that survived winters in my unheated, but dry outdoor greenhouses. We also selected out for color, dodging inbreeding, and selected for red and orange colors. Further on the Sandfire region is situated in South Australia, where winters are cooler.The animals we have now all hibernate outdoors and all breed in May-June-July. They lay 3 clutches of 25-30 eggs per female. That is much, but we offer them plenty of food."

So...the dragons were originally bought from U.S. breeders....they were selected for color (red and orange)...

Old 07-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #406
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Not anymore they aren't. From the information that I have gathered, he knew that we were going to start having health problems, etc. So, he began getting stock from out of the US some time ago. I am not sure if he has had a closed colony or not though. Apparently when stock started getting worse here, he began using other sources. That is to the best of my knowledge how he does things.
That was the original information, yes, with US stock, but, not now.

Tracie

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #407
whiskersmom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
Sooo...Bert does not work with color lines at all? I did not realize that. Good to know!

Jamie
I posted his email quite a few pages back and he states that he does not breed for color. He breeds for clean, unrelated lines, which in his opinion doesn't produce the "designer" dragons that most people are trying to breed nowadays. But when I look at pictures of his dragons, I see hearty, robust beautiful animals.
As for what you pulled off of his site, do you have any idea how long ago that was? He's been doing this for years on top of years.
I read an article that he had wrote pertaining to new breeders and how he would go about advising a start up situation....he advices to start out with 50-100 unrelated specimens so that the probability of inbreeding is relatively low. Now to some of you that may seem unrealistic, hard and expensive but that is why I won't breed, because I don't think I could do it right and make any money off of it. I am not in the position to do it for the fun factor so I won't do it at all. I think alot of breeders needs to adopt this attitude.
What's that old saying? A job isn't worth doing if you're not going to do it right??? I think that's how that goes!

Old 07-23-2007, 12:36 PM   #408
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Dragons
Okay...Per the Agama International's website:

http://www.agamainternational.com/pa...deddragon.html

"We purchased our bearded dragons from several US breeders. The problem we were faced with was the fact that they did not handle cold as well in winter as we would like it. We are always striving to get hardy species, that can be kept outdoors without using electricity. That is better for the environment and saves us money too. Therefore we needed many years to select out all the hardy ones, that survived winters in my unheated, but dry outdoor greenhouses. We also selected out for color, dodging inbreeding, and selected for red and orange colors. Further on the Sandfire region is situated in South Australia, where winters are cooler.The animals we have now all hibernate outdoors and all breed in May-June-July. They lay 3 clutches of 25-30 eggs per female. That is much, but we offer them plenty of food."

So...the dragons were originally bought from U.S. breeders....they were selected for color (red and orange)...
Are you kidding? Because the alternative really aint flattering for you.

Old 07-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #409
Valley Dragons
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap
Are you serious? Because the alternative really aint flattering for you.
Sheesh...how was I supposed to know that he hasn't updated his website in years and years? Especially after someone said that I should look at his website!

Jamie

Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #410
Valley Dragons
So he started with U.S. dragons and bred for color, and now he has chucked that project and works with international normals? And yes, I am being serious, I would like to know so that I don't make uninformed statements!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread