brumation question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
capoeirajosh
brumation question

So I am interested in breeding a few milksnakes and kingsnakes. I currently breed leopard geckos, which you don't really need to brumate for them to breed. I live in AZ and it gets pretty hot here and not that cold in the winter. I was wondering what methods any of you used for brumation? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
M.Rogers
I actually just cool mine down to the 60's at the lowest and keep them dark. Just check their water weekly. I have never really got my kings are milks to cold.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
capoeirajosh
Right, I understand how much they need to be cooled down. My question was HOW do you cool them down?? Just keep the heat off?? Put them in the garage, haha?? Thanks for the reply. = )

Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
reptile_jones
I have heard of people in the warmer states use a refrigerator. I put my in my basement were the temps stays at 60 in the winter time.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #5
capoeirajosh
Hahaha, thanks anyways for the reply. I might have heard that somewhere as well.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
M.Rogers
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeirajosh View Post
Right, I understand how much they need to be cooled down. My question was HOW do you cool them down?? Just keep the heat off?? Put them in the garage, haha?? Thanks for the reply. = )
I quit feeding mine and start reducing the amount of daylight and after about 2-3 weeks I move them to a closet so they stay dark until around Feb then I bring them out and start feeding the females about every 3 to 4 days and the males every 5. After the first shed I start introducing them until I see interest and usually the males go off food. I have used a spare room or closet to keep the light down to a minimum. Mine never reach really cold temps though.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #7
capoeirajosh
Cool. So pretty much just turning the heat off and keeping them in a dark place is enough to get them to start breeding??

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
M.Rogers
Quote:
Cool. So pretty much just turning the heat off and keeping them in a dark place is enough to get them to start breeding??
Its worked for me for a number of years now.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
capoeirajosh
Awesome. Thank you very much for the info!! = )

Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
M.Rogers
Quote:
Awesome. Thank you very much for the info!! = )
You are very welcome and if you have any more questions shoot me a email and I will try to help you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!