Sick Savannah Monitor - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #21
MicroZooKits
and here is a good book on Savannah Monitors

http://www.amazon.com/Savannah-Monit.../dp/0952663295

Old 08-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #22
sellershotts84
so the bulb i have is the Repti Glo 10.0 Compact

Desert Terrarium Lamp
• Ideal for all desert dwelling reptiles
• Ultra High UVB output
• Effective up to 50 cm (20”)
• Provides necessary UVB rays for optimal calcium metabolism
• Recommended for use with screened terrariums;
terrariums with dense screen covers
(screens can filter out UVB rays)
• Recommended in combination with
Repti Glo 2.0 for a higher visual
light output
The Exo Terra Repti Glo 10.0 has a very high
UVB output similar to that associated with desert environments.
Desert locations receive more direct sunlight than any other
because of fewer clouds, less air humidity and no plants or trees
to provide shade. Therefore desert reptiles are more exposed to
UV radiation than any other type of reptile. This bulb can also be
used on screened terrariums or terrariums with dense screen
covers to ensure UVB penetration. Dense screens can filter out up
to 50% of the UVB rays. Fluorescent bulbs lose their UV radiation
and approximately 50% of their lighting output quality within one
year. Changing your terrarium bulb regularly ensures optimal
light conditions and UV radiation to keep your reptiles healthy.
Visit www.exo-terra.com to “Restore The Rays”.

And i need to stack that bulb with
Mercury Vapour
The Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun Simulating Lamp is the solution to one of the most important aspects
of keeping reptiles and amphibians, providing the benefits of natural sunlight. The proper balance
of ultraviolet light (including UVA and UVB), visual light and infrared light (heat) in one easy-toinstall
bulb makes the Exo Terra Solar Glo the choice of professional breeders. The Solar Glo is a
full spectrum light with carefully tuned peaks to ensure appetite, activity, brilliant colours, and calcium
absorption through Vitamin D3 production, and above all to prevent metabolic bone disease.
The Exo Terra Solar Glo is available in two wattages, 125 W and 160 W. Exo Terra refrained
from developing lower wattages as lower wattages simply do not generate enough heat for
these self-ballasted bulbs to work properly, making them unstable and unreliable.

So my question is i need both of them or just the top one/bottom

Old 08-28-2008, 12:33 AM   #23
MicroZooKits
If you look at the lighting chart they provide for reptiles, they recommend using....

Sun Glo Neodymium Basking Spot Lamp (incandescent) during the day
Heat Glo Infrared Heat Lamp (incandescent) during the night
with
Repti Glo 2.0 Daylight Terrarium Lamp (fluorescent) during the day
Repti Glo 10.0 Desert Terrarium Lamp (fluorescent) during the day

This combination will give you the BEST possible spectrum combination you can have for a Savannah Monitor, (and sell exo terra more bulbs) but you can still achieve great results with just a couple different bulbs.

The Neodymium is a wider beam then the Tight Beam so it heats a wider area of the cage as opposed to the tight beam that gives off a stronger more direct beam. Both work great as basking bulbs. The tight beam is just more direct intensity.
As for the fluorescent bulbs you can pretty much use any grow light or full spectrum fluorescent lighting. I use shop lights with 4' fluorescent grow light tubes. Works great. If you want to use the infra red at night to increase the night time temp in the cage that's cool too. I do that in the winter. Keep the average day temp around 80 with the basking spot at around 95-110 and you're good. You MUST and I mean MUST provide a proper basking lamp and site if any light at all.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:47 AM   #24
sellershotts84
f you look at the lighting chart they provide for reptiles, they recommend using....

with
Repti Glo 2.0 Daylight Terrarium Lamp (fluorescent) during the day
Repti Glo 10.0 Desert Terrarium Lamp (fluorescent) during the day

This combination will give you the BEST possible spectrum combination you can have for a Savannah Monitor, (and sell exo terra more bulbs) but you can still achieve great results with just a couple different bulbs.

The Neodymium is a wider beam then the Tight Beam so it heats a wider area of the cage as opposed to the tight beam that gives off a stronger more direct beam. Both work great as basking bulbs. The tight beam is just more direct intensity.
As for the fluorescent bulbs you can pretty much use any grow light or full spectrum fluorescent lighting. I use shop lights with 4' fluorescent grow light tubes. Works great. If you want to use the infra red at night to increase the night time temp in the cage that's cool too. I do that in the winter. Keep the average day temp around 80 with the basking spot at around 95-110 and you're good. You MUST and I mean MUST provide a proper basking lamp and site if any light at all.

So i can get the:

and use both the 2.0 and 10.0 or you mean use one or the other??

Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #25
sellershotts84
Ok so i can get the night and day bulb, do i have to use the 10 and the 2 or i need to pick one or the other. I have a whole box of http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/En...M6MToiMCI7fQ== here do you think i would be able to get day basking and night and then just use that as the other source?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #26
MicroZooKits
Keep the 10.0 and use that with a Basking Lamp during the day. If you need to increase the night time temp use your heat pad on the basking side or an infra red on the basking side.

If you can afford it and have the space, adding the 2.0 to that mix would make him happier.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 AM   #27
sellershotts84
alright last question is that the Sun Glo Neodymium
Daylight Basking Spot Lamp, on the charts they give it has no UVB, but thats still the one i want to run with the 10.0 UBV desert?

Old 08-28-2008, 01:08 AM   #28
sellershotts84
I just looked them up and they are only 12$ shipped so thats not bad at all, also i noticed it said in the manual to put the UVB 10.0 20" away with no mesh screen and mine are about 10" away so that could be a problem too

So im going to use the 10.0 UVB full spec mixed with the Sun Glo Neodymium
Daylight Basking Spot Lamp and that should be pretty good then eh?

thanks for the help i been reading a ton and kind of mixed up on what lights i need considering theres like 50 million different ones.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 AM   #29
MicroZooKits
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellershotts84
alright last question is that the Sun Glo Neodymium
Daylight Basking Spot Lamp, on the charts they give it has no UVB, but thats still the one i want to run with the 10.0 UBV desert?
Yes, the Sun Glo has the UVA, the 10.0 has the UVB. You use them together.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:30 AM   #30
MicroZooKits
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellershotts84
I just looked them up and they are only 12$ shipped so thats not bad at all, also i noticed it said in the manual to put the UVB 10.0 20" away with no mesh screen and mine are about 10" away so that could be a problem too

So im going to use the 10.0 UVB full spec mixed with the Sun Glo Neodymium
Daylight Basking Spot Lamp and that should be pretty good then eh?

thanks for the help i been reading a ton and kind of mixed up on what lights i need considering theres like 50 million different ones.
Mesh screen can act as a light filter, so put it closer.

Yes that light setup will be fine.

NP, that's what this forum is for

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!