This season is a bust: Should I toss my eggs - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
Redneck_Crow
I haven't bred for years, but I kept everything until it was painfully apparant that it was dead. I've been pleasantly surprised on a few occasions. While we don't want to deliberately give living things less than optimal conditions and see if they'll survive, nature has a great deal of resiliance into animals. You might get some death and deformities, but then again you might end up with some good hatchlings and there's no loss in trying for the latter.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
hhmoore
Would it be easier for you to scrap the eggs than to have to euthanize babies?
How do you feel about kinks...or, more precisely, what would you do with kinked babies?

Obviously, it is impossible to predict the outcome based on what you said, particularly since we don't know how long the temps were that high....but I had an overheating experience about 19 yrs ago (long story, and I'm fuzzy on some of the details). I had 2 clutches of burm eggs incubating - somewhere between 80-85 eggs (I know both clutches were just over 40, thinking 42 and 43, but I could be off by an egg on each) - and I had a temp spike into the high 90s. I don't recall how long it might have been...but I can't believe it would have been more than 36 hrs, knowing how I did things.
Some didn't hatch - I want to say 10-15; but that is totally a guess...could have been more, or less. Of the survivors, a lot of them had kinks...some were as minor as a notched spine, some had curlicue tails, some were just plain bent. I don't remember what percentage were problem free, unfortunately; but it was a disappointing experience. I remember that I had a buyer for a 25 lot, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to fill the order. (I do remember asking if he would accept a smaller count, or if he would accept a couple with very small bumps/notches, if necessary...but I don't remember if I had to resort to that, or if I had 25 unaffected babies.)

That was only a one time experience, and others may well have gotten better results. I don't mean to cause concern, but a few days of temps that high are definitely enough to cause significant problems. Maybe you'll get luckier than I did, but I figured you should have the information to consider.

I don't remember how much difference there was in how far along they were...I don't think it was much - 2 weeks, maybe 3 at the outside - but 3 weeks makes a big difference in terms of development. I wish I could remember if there was a difference in hatch rates and/or kinks associated with each clutch.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #13
Lucille
Michael that was a nice offer to your sister, you are a good brother. Her mistake was careless but innocent, I'm sure she feels bad about it after you were so nice to her.
I'm hoping for the best for you, that some babies hatch out and that they are quality healthy babies.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
Chicagoherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Would it be easier for you to scrap the eggs than to have to euthanize babies?
How do you feel about kinks...or, more precisely, what would you do with kinked babies?

Obviously, it is impossible to predict the outcome based on what you said, particularly since we don't know how long the temps were that high....but I had an overheating experience about 19 yrs ago (long story, and I'm fuzzy on some of the details). I had 2 clutches of burm eggs incubating - somewhere between 80-85 eggs (I know both clutches were just over 40, thinking 42 and 43, but I could be off by an egg on each) - and I had a temp spike into the high 90s. I don't recall how long it might have been...but I can't believe it would have been more than 36 hrs, knowing how I did things.
Some didn't hatch - I want to say 10-15; but that is totally a guess...could have been more, or less. Of the survivors, a lot of them had kinks...some were as minor as a notched spine, some had curlicue tails, some were just plain bent. I don't remember what percentage were problem free, unfortunately; but it was a disappointing experience. I remember that I had a buyer for a 25 lot, and I wasn't sure I'd be able to fill the order. (I do remember asking if he would accept a smaller count, or if he would accept a couple with very small bumps/notches, if necessary...but I don't remember if I had to resort to that, or if I had 25 unaffected babies.)

That was only a one time experience, and others may well have gotten better results. I don't mean to cause concern, but a few days of temps that high are definitely enough to cause significant problems. Maybe you'll get luckier than I did, but I figured you should have the information to consider.

I don't remember how much difference there was in how far along they were...I don't think it was much - 2 weeks, maybe 3 at the outside - but 3 weeks makes a big difference in terms of development. I wish I could remember if there was a difference in hatch rates and/or kinks associated with each clutch.
I guess you can say its easier for me to scrap the eggs, only because I have never hatched out a snake that was so deformed that I had to euthanize it. Up to this year I have never had any incubation problems, but I am going to wait it out and see what happens just for the experience. Also I have some hets that I want to prove out, so far none of the eggs look or smell bad, so until then I will just incubate them regular temps and see what happens.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #15
Chicagoherps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Michael that was a nice offer to your sister, you are a good brother. Her mistake was careless but innocent, I'm sure she feels bad about it after you were so nice to her.
I'm hoping for the best for you, that some babies hatch out and that they are quality healthy babies.

Yes she is feeling bad, but I know she didn't do it on purpose so its no hard feelings. I hope I get some good healthy babies also, at most minor kinking. Thanks for the support

Old 07-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
Chicagoherps
Looks like 2 out of the 4 eggs from the last clutch are starting to go bad. I smell a very slight odor. I guess i need to start separating them from the two that are possibly still good. I think the one on top and the very plump one in the last picture are still good.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!