Possible het for this, possible het for that in ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors   Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds  Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Do you want to be able to bump and highlight your classified ads? Click here!

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 03-23-2004, 05:09 PM   #1
beakgeek
Possible het for this, possible het for that in ads

OK, either you know or you don't. Don't try to get more money out of the animal you are selling if you have no idea.

I understand that some people breed things like leopard geckos in harems, but if you are selling animals and really don't know their lineage don't fake it.

Thanks!!!!!

Terry

Old 03-23-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
meretseger
Not quite how it works

Poss. het does not mean that you do not know the animal's lineage. It means you bred a het to a het or a het to a normal. These pairings will produce babies that MAY or MAY NOT be het, but you cannot tell by looking at them. However, there is a known mathematical possibility of these animals being hets. This possibility is what they are stating in the ad. Buying them is still a gamble, but a known gamble, which is why they are and should be worth more than normals.
I personally have a pair of king ratsnakes which are double het for albino and hypomelanism. So even though I am only breeding these two animals and I know their exact genetics, I will still be producing possible hets.
SOME people might be using the poss. het term to signify that, say, the father could have been one of two males, but that's not how the term is supposed to be used.

het to het breeding- produces 50% homozygous, 25% hets, and 25% normals. Since you can't tell normals by looking at them, the normal appearing offspring have a 50% possibility of being het

het to normal breeding- 50% of the animals will be normal and 50% will be het. Again, you can't tell by looking so all offspring have a 50% chance of being het.

Hope this helped, it's sort of hard to explain without going into all the mechanics of genetics.
Also helpful is www.geneticswizard.com

Erin B.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Gecko_Den
Erin, I think you mixed up your explanation a little.
Het X Het= 25% Homo, 50% Het, 25% normal. The Hets and normals will look the same, so they would actually breakdown to 66% Hets. At least thats how I understand it....
Sam

Old 03-23-2004, 10:39 PM   #4
Darin Chappell
Yep, Sam's right on that one, Erin. Het to het breedings will statisically give you 75% normals in a clutch each one, being 66% possible het for the mutant trait.

I don't like the possible het sales either. Not because of the mathematics of the situation, that's fairly straight forward. Instead, it is the fact that so many people, of whom most have never heard, are now selling "possible hets" for this, that, and the other ... I wonder how the mathematics will be holding up when many those "possible" hets turn out to be nothing more than definite normals???

BUSTED! That's how they will turn out!

Old 03-24-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
Clay Davenport
Possible hets, purchased from a reputable breeder, are also an excellent way to get into producing some of the high end morphs without laying out a huge initial investment, provided you have the time and patience to prove them out.
Take the genetic stripe balls. Stripes were priced at 20 grand last year, and hets were what, 8 grand a pair? Possible het males were as low as $250 each.
There were alot of possible hets produced last year by people who laid out the cash for a single het male. They are of course keeping all the females to prove them out, but that left alot of uneeded 50% possible het males.
Buy 2 of these and statistically you should have one het, but buy four and you will almost assuredly get at least one, especially if they're clutchmates. Once you prove out which one(s) are het, a few years later, you're producing the stripes for a very small relative investment.
For many people who want to breed a high end morph, that route is the only one, since most people aren't willing to take out a second mortgage to buy snakes.
All you have to do is understand the reason they are possible het, and understand their actual potential to see they are a pretty good gamble.
Nothing in Vegas will give you 50/50 odds, let alone 66%.

Old 03-24-2004, 12:56 AM   #6
meretseger
Well, I was CLOSE ^_^... Yeah, I still rock.

Erin B.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!