Scarlet Snake X Scarlet Kingsnake Integrade? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #1
Conornewton
Scarlet Snake X Scarlet Kingsnake Integrade?

Would it be possible for a Scarlet Snake to breed successfully with a Scarlet Kingsnake? I have one of each, adults, and eating readily on f/t large pinks. Thanks

Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 PM   #2
Conornewton
Here's the lovely couple now.... possible?
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
WebSlave
Possible? Sure, I guess anything is possible and I've seen some pretty weird hybrids people have accomplished. But I would be SURPRISED if you were successful.

Just watch them like a hawk when you have them together, as one might just think the other is a tasty meal being offered.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Conornewton
Haha! Very true, and I will definitely keep my eye on them. I would think that, at some point, a natural integrade has occurred in the wild before.. maybe?

Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #5
WebSlave
Just because two different types of animals may share the same sort of habitat doesn't mean they will necessarily breed together. For instance, have you ever heard of a natural hybrid between a cat and a dog?

It takes a whole lot more than just similar appearance to a lot of animals to trigger a mating response.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:31 PM   #6
Conornewton
You literally just gave an example of apples and oranges. A cat is felidae and a dog is canidae, lol. But I'll help you here, "have you ever heard of a wolf breeding with a coyote?" (It's a coywolf, that does exist actually).

They're both Colubrids, have the same diet, habitat and range. In addition, adults grow to nearly grow to the same exact length and are even often confused of each other. I suppose after this discussion, I've answered my own question, lol.

Old 02-25-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
snowgyre
Yes, but given that they're both colubrids, have the same diet, habitat, and range, and grow to nearly the same exact length, there is a good chance that they simply won't hybridize. If so, we would've found a hybrid already in the field.

And then, there is always the ethical question of why you would choose to hybridize two species that look phenotypically similar and probably won't throw anything funky. "Just because" isn't really a valid reason.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
Conornewton
I agree. That's why I posted this thread.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!