Feeding Baby Grey Banded Kingsnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #1
Runs_With_Wolves
Feeding Baby Grey Banded Kingsnake

I just bought a baby grey banded kingsnake. She'll arrive Tuesday morning. So I have a bunch of fuzzy mice for my older grey banded king snake. Can I cut a fuzzy in half for the baby? Will that still be too big? I don't know how big she is, but she is a non-feeder.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #2
WebSlave
Good luck with that.

I used to produce a modest number of gray banded kings years ago, but finally threw in the towel on them when 99% of them insisted on lizards for their first several meals. Some never did want to take pinky mice at all.

If you can find baby fence lizards (or strangely enough Mediterranean or house geckos) or equivalent locally, then you might have a fighting chance at getting yours feeding.

Again, good luck.

Old 09-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
elena
What Rich said. You are going to need some lizards. Reach out to your breeder for a source. Although I'm not sure he's the best guy as he sold a non-feeder without explaining the process of getting them fed, to someone who had never done it before.

Also, no you can't cut the fuzzy in half, it would still be too wide. You could try decapitating the fuzzy and feeding the head.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #4
Runs_With_Wolves
So I've heard of tease feeding. Couldn't I just do that with a pinky?

Old 09-23-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Khcorn
I think the point is that grey banded king snakes don't even think of mice as prey at first. They have evolved to eat other reptiles and when they are born that is what they want to do.

Trying to tease feed with something the snake doesn't even consider food is annoying at best and scary for the baby at worst

Old 09-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
Runs_With_Wolves
The breeder says he gets them to eat by brain splitting the mice. I hate doing that, but if I have to I will.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #7
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runs_With_Wolves View Post
The breeder says he gets them to eat by brain splitting the mice. I hate doing that, but if I have to I will.
I know some people swear by that method, but I can't recall a single instance where I had a problem feeder anything that took a brained pinky after refusing other offerings.

You really need to be looking for a source of feeder lizards pronto.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:24 AM   #8
Runs_With_Wolves
I live in Bozeman Montana. Not much out here. Is there someplace online I can buy frozen feeder lizards?

Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
bcr229
If you can't find feeder lizards a company called ReptiLinks sells anole scent.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
Beyond GenetiX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
If you can't find feeder lizards a company called ReptiLinks sells anole scent.
I'd order sooner than later, they only ship once a month.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!