Bad Guy local pet store lizard neglect - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
rsellers44
Angry local pet store lizard neglect

Hello, i was just browsing through and was wondering if anyone could help me out with some info. I live in chambersburg pa area and a little local pet store has had me disgusted for the last time. The name is actually "pet store" and the have severly sick and diasesed lizards. At least every tank has a dead lizard in it, every tank has a case of mouthrot, even one baby green iguana had half its jaw missing, the tokays( whick i keep and breed) are all almost half dead and all bones show through the skin. I felt bad and purchased a few, despite the unrealistic price for a half dead tokay at 60 dollars and have been treating them and nursing them back to health. Im sickened by this and would like to notify some authority to help, anyone know who to contact in pa? I hate to do it cuz the staff is some of the friendliest folks but they should stick to dogs, cats and fish, all of which seem healthy.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
barbie
Call your local law enforcement they will tell you who to call. POOR THINGS

Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Chip Bridges
And as a pet shop owner, let me tell you that the WORST thing you can do is buy their sick animals. It simply lines their pockets to buy more, which they will if more sell than die on them. Seems harsh to let them die in front of you, but it's either that or allow the chain of neglect to continue.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
bobtard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Bridges View Post
And as a pet shop owner, let me tell you that the WORST thing you can do is buy their sick animals. It simply lines their pockets to buy more, which they will if more sell than die on them. Seems harsh to let them die in front of you, but it's either that or allow the chain of neglect to continue.
I couldn't agree more. Every day, on a number of forums, I see people that are praised for "rescuing" animals from pet stores. All it does is encourage the behavior of the pet store, and lead to more annimals suffering. It really is a chain.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Rud3Bwoy
Name and addy would be nice

anyway reminds me of my visit to petland for crickets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUu940SDS58

Old 01-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #6
JustChad04
Wow. Can we get the address of this place?

I suggest taking a video camera (or if you phone can do it) and getting some recorded footage of this place and the condition of the animals. If indeed there are sickly or worse dead animals while in their posession, whether from neglegance or disease they may be held responsible lawfully. Once you get the evidence take it to your local police department and see what they can do about animal abuse/neglegance.

Ugh and this is the guys who help feed PETA and HSUS against this wonderful hobby.

Old 01-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
iKandyXotics
Holy crap!! I hate hearing about Pet Store's neglecting animals I hope you find the people you need to stop that cruelty Best of luck!

Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #8
Amelanistic Orca
Recently had the same issue... Wound up being the Humane Society to step up for the animals.. No other outfit cared here in Az.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #9
GHC Exotics
You can contact the Dept. of Agriculture for your state to put in a complaint. I know as far as the state of GA they are the ones who do the annual inspections and such. We get randomly inspected about twice a year, so it honestly wouldnt be a shocker if they already know of the situation. Also, unfortunately it typically takes multiple case complaints for something to actually happen. Hope that helps

Old 01-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #10
rsellers44
thanks

The name actually is "The Pet Store," the adress is 1710 Lincoln Way East, Chambersburg, PA. For those of whom that asked, next time i go in there i will be taking a video and pics, the department of agriculture is who inspects it so i will be notifying them, thanks everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!