Need some information. Help. ASAP - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
LampropeltisCollector
Need some information. Help. ASAP

Now, I don't know if this is true for Westerns, my male Western Hognose is not eating. I'd say he is about 11" and he is refusing everything. I know hogs can go a long time without food. My adult male Southern Hog is real dumb this time of year because all it wants to do is mate. Now I want to know, is there something wrong with it? Here's what I observed.
I did many ways to get this male Western to eat. He was eating unscented fuzzies, but he stopped, so I decided to use a toad to scent. No interest. I used a lizard on a different fuzzy next day. No interest. Than I through a small toad, which I know he has never turned down, I left it in there during the day, and he never touched it! I have a female Western Hog as well, but she eats just. The last pinky he ate 2 weeks ago he regurgitated.
Anybody tell me what I can do to solve this problem, or at least tell me this is a typical Male Hog?
Thank you

-Jordan Schmitt

Old 06-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
George J. Ward
Hey Jordan your fellow Floridian here. Hi my name is George.I am from Port St.Lucie. If this is the first time he regurged. Give him a couple more weeks 1-2 tops and then try to feed him again. If he regurges again it could be the start of regurgetaion syndrome and it is a pain in the but to get rectified. Did you happen to handle him or anyone else after feeding him?? No this is not typical of any snake period. If this happens again after the next feeding. Put the regurge pinky in a ziplock bag and take it and the snake to your local vet that deals with herps and have them test for protozoans,parasites,bacteria and any other possible problem causers Ok?? Keep me posted here or @georgeward74162yahoo.com. Hope this info will help you out>

Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
LampropeltisCollector
Hey George,
First of all, thanks for responding. I dont handle my snakes much at all. I will bring that in mind and take him to a herp vet if he regurgitates again. Thank you very much!
-Jordan

Old 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
George J. Ward
No sweat bro just trying to help where I can good luck with him I hope all goes well for you!! Take care hope to hear from you soon on his progress,keep me in the loop! Thanx for the thanx George!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #5
TriangleReptiles
What temps is he at? He should be at 90-95 on his hot side. Too cool and he regurgitates. Going off feed for several weeks is not unusual though. I would be much more concerned with the regurge. Keep his temps up.

Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #6
LampropeltisCollector
I live in Florida. I keep all my snakes in my garage where temps are perfect. They are kept in sterilite tubs with either paper towel as bedding or newspaper. And I was going to update this, but he just ate a fuzzy yesterday and his doing good, so maybe he was just being a stubborn male hog. Temps here get in highs of 96, and drop to about 80 at night right now. Ive always kept my snakes out here and they do great.

-Jordan Schmitt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!