Bad Guy JOEL2006 - Sick Snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
nvterrapene
JOEL2006 - Sick Snake

Okay, so I have never posted here before but figured I would write this up because it makes me very upset to see people try and sell sick animals. I went to purchase an adult male black headed python from someone on here with the username "JOEL2006". I ended up driving an hour to his job yesterday afternoon (01/27/2017 : approximately 2:30 PM), because he apparently grabbed the snake on his lunch break and said it would be easier for both of us to meet there since he would not be getting home until late. I ended up driving into, not to be offensive, but not the nicest neighborhood of Philadelphia. He ended up working in a pawn shop, had the snake in a pillowcase in a box with airholes. As I arrived, someone was being pulled out of the shop in an ambulance after getting into a fist fight within the store where the snake was. I did not feel like I was in a safe situation but my eagerness to acquire a new herp got the best of me and I decided to proceed with the transaction. In the ad it was noted that this bhp had a jaw injury, what was presumably a dislocated jaw that was misaligned when popped back in. I've seen this in snakes before, including a carpet python, and thought no big deal it eats and is healthy (allegedly) and is really cheap. Perfect opportunity to pair up my female bhp, and I was told it was fed medium rats so I knew it wasn't super fed, which causes infertility and liver problems in this species. So he briefly showed me the snake before tucking it back into the pillowcase within the shop. Barely saw the jaw as the snake was very flighty and he only had it out for a short amount of time. Again, I did not feel as though I was in a safe environment after seeing someone leave the store in an ambulance. I rushed out to get back to my car and decided to take the snake out before getting out of this neighborhood. I noticed that on it's head it wasn't quite a misaligned jaw, but instead, upon forcing open the 7 foot snake's jaws in my car, was some type of a mouth infection. There was a bunch of mucus and a swollen bubble on the inside of it's mouth. I was a little nervous about going back in there, and I felt very bad for the condition this animal was in. I was in a dilemma, not sure if I should cut my losses and get this snake to a vet asap or risk my safety and go back in there for a refund. I decided that I wanted my $650 back. I went back in the store and told him this snake has some type of infection and needs to be taken to a vet immediately. He assured me the animal was fine, he got it that way 2 years ago, and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with the animal, that he has "antibiotic" and it's fine. He told me that I was made aware of the jaw injury and saw the pics in the ad (not nearly as swollen as it was in person in the ad and could pass as a misaligned jaw and I assumed it was as so). I argued back and forth with him for a bit about the overall health of this animal and said I cannot accept this. He said alright fine, got me my money and I got the hell out of there. I know he is going to probably try to sell this animal to some other unsuspecting person so I want this post to serve as a warning to anyone who wants to buy this animal or anything else he is trying to sell. I will make note that he did mention the injury on the jaw in the ad but tried to confirm with me in person that it was from a problem with it's jaw popping back into place when I was asking about it. Very upset that people try to sell sick animals and I'm also a little upset with myself that I was naive enough to think something good could come out of this situation and that this animal was going to make a fine addition. Unfortunately, I was unable to take a pic of the inside of this snake's mouth because I was alone and I used both hands to restrain it and open it's jaws to get a closer look. I don't have actual proof of this experience, but potential buyers be warned, he will try and sell you a sick animal. The only messages I have were arranging the pickup, not sure if I should post them or not or if there is anything else I should include here.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
nvterrapene
Read the BOI rules - my full name is Nicholas Valentino, I am only 20 years old and have been keeping herps since I was a kid

Old 01-28-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
JOEL2006
I was offering a blackheaded python for a low price because has a old injury from before I purchased it. A $ 2,000 snake for $650 SNAKE EATS FINE WITH NO PROBLEM OTHER THEN ONE SIDE OF THE BOTTOM JAW I told him a few times what was wrong with it he agreed to get it anyway, first he wanted to trade me his gecko and his box turtle I said no so he said he will just have to do the cash ,so he came down to pick it up and purchased it .He took it for about 5 min came back telling me a story about it being a infection ,I told him its not a infection it was a old injury since before I purchased it ,I HAVE TREATED IT WITH MEDICINE ITS A OLD BROKEN ONE SIDE LOWER JAW so I just gave him his money back and he went on his way...I don't see y this is even one here with him getting his money back without any problems .He has no feedback on here trying to build his by burring mine so I will have to pay him a visit next week some time...

Old 01-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
JCCS
Can we get a pic of the snake's mouth?

Old 01-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #5
nvterrapene
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEL2006 View Post
I was offering a blackheaded python for a low price because has a old injury from before I purchased it. A $ 2,000 snake for $650 SNAKE EATS FINE WITH NO PROBLEM OTHER THEN ONE SIDE OF THE BOTTOM JAW I told him a few times what was wrong with it he agreed to get it anyway, first he wanted to trade me his gecko and his box turtle I said no so he said he will just have to do the cash ,so he came down to pick it up and purchased it .He took it for about 5 min came back telling me a story about it being a infection ,I told him its not a infection it was a old injury since before I purchased it ,I HAVE TREATED IT WITH MEDICINE ITS A OLD BROKEN ONE SIDE LOWER JAW so I just gave him his money back and he went on his way...I don't see y this is even one here with him getting his money back without any problems .He has no feedback on here trying to build his by burring mine so I will have to pay him a visit next week some time...
Fantastic! Threatening me online? Moderators? Lol.. I am well experienced with reptiles and amphibians, and I know very well what a healthy snake should look like. What you tried to sell me was NOT a healthy snake. You should take this animal to a vet, not sell it off to become someone else's problem. I tried to do a partial trade with you? You say that as if I did something wrong by asking if you had any interest in what I had to offer. I made this thread so people can be aware of what condition this poor animal is in if they're interested in purchasing it. But yes, go ahead and state that I'm trying to build reputation by detroying yours. I'm actually a very busy college student and I have much more constructive things to do with my time. I took time out of my day to warn people about this animal you are trying to sell because perhaps if you shipped it they wouldn't have gotten to grasp the full reality of the injury situation until after it arrived on their door step. But yes, threaten me and accuse me of trying to dismantle your reputation so I can build some of my own.

Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #6
JOEL2006
Here is the picture of the side lower jaw that I did stated in the original ad I treated it and everything a few months back it was no infection. Old broken jaw it's dirty from being in his bedding they do live under ground ...not that he is sick you don't own any blackheaded pythons he eats every week never missed a meal .....
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
nvterrapene
This shows how much more swollen it is just from the outside than the pics in the original ad. Kind of contradictory to treat something if it never existed in the first place, is it not? Also, here is a pic of me with my female black headed python since I apparently never owned any. I literally showed him pics of my female bhp before I realized the condition of this animal when I got back to my car lol Name:  20161224_140139.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  60.6 KB

Old 01-29-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
JCCS
I can't see much other than swelling in those, so I get where you're coming from, Nick. I think this should be a lesson, and one that came cheaply, luckily enough. Buying b-grade animals generally isn't worth it beyond minor cosmetic issues. Joel, if I were you, I'd include pics of the inside of the snake's mouth so people don't read this thread and believe that it has an infection. In my experience with boids that's exactly what it looks like from the pics shown, but the only way to know is to see the soft tissue in the mouth.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
filenamex5100
I think the intended picture was the inside of the mouth to prove or disprove the claim of mucus or other infection.
I'm not taking sides or jumping to conclusions but I saw the bhp for sale and trade as well. Immediately thought it was too good to be true. 75% off the market value of a snake could be a risky purchase. just telling you my take.

Joel....if you want to disprove his claims:
1) post a pic or two of the inside of the mouth. take pictures good enough for us to see well enough. no weird angles or tricks please.

2) if any screenshots exist from your communication with Nick that shows his initial trade offerings (could prove credibility).

BOI threads exist forever and you cannot edit them. I would refrain from any flavor of threats.

Nick....post any screenshots you may have as far as initial trades. reference to a lower income type area doesn't prove anything as far as quality of a animal.

I'm guessing either buyers remorse or there was actually a mouth issue worse than originally thought. the lower price doesn't make think it was a snake that was trying to be unloaded quickly but that isn't proof of anything.

**pictures of the inside of the mouth should tell the story it seems.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:18 AM   #10
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEL2006 View Post
I HAVE TREATED IT WITH MEDICINE ITS A OLD BROKEN ONE SIDE LOWER JAW
Did you get the antibiotic from a vet after a culture was done?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!