un-square boxes anyone else - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
allreptiles1966
un-square boxes anyone else

I ordered several boxes of 2 sizes from a company. I received them and went to use my 1st one and the box flaps on the inside bottom over lap,so i had to trim them to lay flat. Then i put the Styrofoam inside and none of it is snug. I have a 1/4" or bigger gap everywhere inside between the Styrofoam. Is this common?? I talked to the lady and she seemed puzzled. At first it really didnt bother me,until i put my 6th one together, i am tired of putting heat tape inside the box to hold firm. It also does not look too professional. Which i am not,but trying to become.

What should i do ?? Anyone know where i can get good cheap reptile shipping boxes with at least 3/4" styrofoam. I dont want full kits. Just the boxes and styrofoam. I have plenty of bags and why pay for all the stuff i dont use. Deli cups,ties and so forth.
Thanks for any help or opinions.
Rich

Old 05-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
hhmoore
I've never received one of those pre fab shipping boxes with snug fitting styro. They're convenient, and they (usually) look nice....but they're rather expensive. I prefer to make my own.
Cutting Styrofoam panels sucks - it makes a mess, and looks like crap when done the quick, easy way. I very much prefer insulation board - it's got a higher R value, and is easy to cut neatly. It takes a little time, but - for me - it's worth it for the improved fit.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
I've never received one of those pre fab shipping boxes with snug fitting styro. They're convenient, and they (usually) look nice....but they're rather expensive. I prefer to make my own.
Cutting Styrofoam panels sucks - it makes a mess, and looks like crap when done the quick, easy way. I very much prefer insulation board - it's got a higher R value, and is easy to cut neatly. It takes a little time, but - for me - it's worth it for the improved fit.

I never thought of that Harold. I will look into that. And yes,those boxes are easy but costly. I have bought from another place and were more then this place. But,they did fit together nicely.
I would like to save a bit on boxes. Especially since i will be doing a lot more shipping this year.
Thanks for the bit of good info Harold.
Question- Will the weight of the board make up the difference in cost of shipping over paying for a ready to use box ?

Old 05-05-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
hhmoore
I buy my boxes in quantities of 50 (or more). Factoring in the number of boxes per sheet, and my per box cost, I come in under the cost of the pre fab kits. The other plus is that the boxes themselves don't take up much space; and I buy a few panels of insulation board at a time - as I need them.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
allreptiles1966
Thank you very much Harold. I'm appreciative.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
hhmoore
On further reflection, I should correct my previous statement. The quantity in which I buy boxes depends on how frequently I use them. I have a larger size that I don't use as frequently, so I don't buy as many at a time. Doesn't really matter; but I didn't want anybody to think smaller quantities aren't an option.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
robyn@Pro Exotics
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Solid tip from Harald here on making your own insulated boxes. Don't use styrofoam, use the sheets of foam insulation available at Home Depot or Lowes.

In the past we have used the 1.5" insulation, the white colored product, and hand cut it for a snug fit. Really structurally rigid, and great R-insulation value.

Use a long metal straight edge or T-square, and one of the extending razors. Do it on a concrete floor, like a garage, and you can get smooth square cuts, which make for a tight fit.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
lots of companies sell the boxes and foam containers. They should not be having such a gap, I would have returned them as defective and asked for replacements. The company I get my shipping boxes from is called Cold Ice. I believe they sell to the public (?) - I buy at cost through the packaging company I work for. Have to buy full bundles which means my snake room racks are piled high with foam coolers (the solid piece with a top style is what I prefer) but it's nice to always have them handy if needed.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!