Curiosity is Going to Kill Me - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
Junkyard
Curiosity is Going to Kill Me

So I am interested in getting a T, though lacking in experience I am curious as to which kind of T would be the best to start with? What size is recommended? Meaning baby or adult? I have been reading up on care sheets, but I would like a direction to look first so I can get things prepared for one. I am not wanting to spend a lot of money on my first T, but a mild tempered one is what I am looking for. I would like one that is easy to handle. Lastly, what am I looking at dealing with if I am ever bit by a recommended T? Incredibly painful? Lots of swelling?

Thanks for the help.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:14 PM   #2
DAND
I'd suggest A Rose Hair. They are rather mild in temperment and cheap. The bite could be painful and swell. If you have allergies it could cause you additional problems.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
SIRS
well with my experience with T's which isn't alot of experience but the two i have one being a Bird eater and the other a chaco .i would recommend getting a chaco since what i have read and by experience they are east to handle look nice and get to be a good size ,the bird eater forgettabout it.unless you want something to more just look at and not touch ,if you going to get one get one as a baby if possible .they do not require much even when there that small i kept both of mine in a small pill bottle see thru kind .with some soil cant remember what it is called but i can go down stairs and see ,just some soil and your good to go .acouple of holes in the cap and just spray in it every couple of days .as the get bigger just up the size to a pickle jar and so on right now i have my two in ten gallons and seem to be doing great ,the size container you need isn't much,just as long as the have enough space to molt ,i don't keep any heat under them but i do keep the room they are in atleast 80 degrees F,now that there bigger they have a water dish and a hide and some things to climb and make there web.i mist them still every couple of days ,and take my chaco out when ever i get a chance ,for feeding i go though about a dozen if that a week of crickets and that takes care of both of them
heres a picture of my chaco .i think its like 3 months ago

and heres one taken a couple of weeks or so

hope i answered some questions you had ,im no expert with T's but if i can help any way just ask .good luck with your choice ,

Old 09-19-2006, 06:52 AM   #4
Ginger Ambrose
Way too many hairy little legs for me. LOL
Michael, if you choose to get one you will do well with it.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:13 AM   #5
John Apple
Chacos, rosies and most of the Gramastolla's are good choices, Brachypelma's such as vagans, smithi are also good choices.
I don't condone handling even a tame one they all can bite and it friggin hurts. Not trying to scare you away here.
Locally you will have a couple of close holes and possibly some swelling, not to mention your pet might fly across the room in the heat of the moment. Also a fat tarantula will pop when falling from even a short height.
They do make interesting pets and all suggestions above are good ones for a first T

Old 09-19-2006, 02:10 PM   #6
Junkyard
Thank you for the information, that will give me some more things to think about. I do like the Cobalt Blues, but will wait before getting one. I know of a breeder and he will probably be at the NARBC show this weekend, so we will see if I pick something up or not.

John, I am interested in why you do not condone handling T's, is it because they all may bite? Or is there more to it then that? It seems many people handle their T's all the time.

Old 09-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #7
John Apple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard
Thank you for the information, that will give me some more things to think about. I do like the Cobalt Blues, but will wait before getting one. I know of a breeder and he will probably be at the NARBC show this weekend, so we will see if I pick something up or not.

John, I am interested in why you do not condone handling T's, is it because they all may bite? Or is there more to it then that? It seems many people handle their T's all the time.
I don't condone handling simply because of the safety of the spider in question, not the human. It can drop and pop, or react adversely to a situation that will never happen to it in the wild. We are humans and our ignorance to wild life and the reaction to us is well noted but quite simply ignored.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!