No Cure For Venom of Burgled Snake Says Owner - Tampa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #1
wcreptiles
No Cure For Venom of Burgled Snake Says Owner - Tampa

I had never heard of a 'Burgled' snake, I thought they were pretty rare and that was why they didn't have a cure for the venom. Took me a while for it to sink in, I think 'stolen' would have been a better word for us common folks.

There may be two stolen (aka 'burgled') snakes on the market.

Quote:
No Cure For Venom of Burgled Snake Says Owner
By VALERIE KALFRIN | The Tampa Tribune

Dave Lawson says he knows one way to learn who stole two valuable but deadly snakes from his collection Monday.

"We'll know who stole it, because he'll be in the hospital or the morgue," he said.

Lawson, 45, of Zephyrhills, operates Victoria Reptiles, an importing and exporting business for exotic animals, out of his home.

Someone broke into the carport he had converted into a "snake room" on Monday and took two snakes: a small-eyed viper called a bitis parviocula, or Ethiopian mountain adder, and an albino timber rattlesnake.

The viper is valued at about $10,000 and the rattlesnake at about $15,000, according to a report from the Pasco County Sheriff's Office.

Lawson didn't have insurance to cover the loss. He's concerned about who might have the snakes. There is no known antivenin for the viper, and the rattlesnake's bite is among the worst a person can receive, he said.

"I was bitten in August," Lawson said of the rattlesnake. "It took 22 vials of antivenin."

Kevin Doll, a sheriff's office spokesman, agreed with Lawson that the burglar must have some knowledge of snakes. The main door to the snake area was dented and the glass on one of the aquariums was broken, but nothing else was missing, the report states.

"Instead of buyer beware, this might be a case of burglar beware," Doll said.

Doll asked anyone with information about the burglary to call the sheriff's office toll-free at (800) 854-2862.
http://suncoastpasco.tbo.com/content...ke-says-owner/
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
I always wonder.... how many people are named Dave Lawson....

Old 01-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle View Post
I always wonder.... how many people are named Dave Lawson....
And from Florida too.
Things that make you go hmmm.

Where was Neil during this?

Old 01-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
11Catalyst
Its a good thing he had insurance.

Old 01-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Catalyst View Post
Its a good thing he had insurance.

Quote:
Lawson didn't have insurance to cover the loss.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:15 AM   #6
Cat_72
That is the ONE Dave Lawson that operates an import/export biz in Zephyr Hills, Florida.

I had a feeling we'd be hearing something about him one of these days soon.....

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72 View Post
That is the ONE Dave Lawson that operates an import/export biz in Zephyr Hills, Florida.

I had a feeling we'd be hearing something about him one of these days soon.....
Well it is more than a feeling, I just know there is much more to old Dave's story, and I know this first hand. I got a call from one of our members a week or so ago, seems she went down there to take a job from old Dave. Shortly after she was there Dave put her and her children out on the street. There were a few stories being told about the whole thing, but I do know part of it was so. She called me in desperation, or so the story goes. Said old Dave was quite the A$$ and just put her and her children out on the street, she also said Dave had a warrant for his arrest, now that makes no sense if he is calling the law to report a theft?? Oh yes, I think there is much more to that story.

I will also add, this member knew of old Dave and his habits of poor humanity, and went anyway. Go figure that one??

Old 01-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #8
varnyard
Dave Lawson Finally Where He Should Be:
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...&postcount=346
Quote:
Seamus-Haley: Is there anything he could possibly do that would make you trust him with your money Rozann? Anything? Ever?
Quote:
Stardust: Nope. Plain and simple.

Just trying to get him to pay some of these people what he owes them for whatever reason he is telling himself he is doing it for.
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...+Lawson&page=9

Things that make you go HUMMM??

Old 01-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard View Post
[b][color="Red"]Things that make you go HUMMM??
He's been loose for awhile Bobby, the posts you linked were from his stint in jail in 2007...

Also not sure why you pulled my quote out of context out of a two and a half year old thread... neither Rozann or I were advocating trusting him. Heck, the very next line in the post you quoted was-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
For me, and I'd guess a lot of other people, the answer to that is going to be no. He could go a decade... two decades, without ripping anyone off and making good on his past misdeeds and it wouldn't be enough. He's simply unsalvageable.
Or why you linked that particular BOI thread to this discussion. Although I suppose it's one of many posts that show Dave's history of crooked, criminal behavior and definitely supports the theories that there's something not on the level with anything he ever says.

If you have something to say to or about Dave, just say it and leave me and my old posts out of it... Given the attitude you and I have towards each other, I think it'd be best if we just didn't address or mention one another in the polite discussion forums. There's a thread in hell if you want to resume yelling at one another and there's always the BOI if you ever get around to serving me with that lawsuit you were talking about.

To everyone else- sorry for the tangent folks, just really, really didn't like seeing someone who I don't get along with posting out-of-context quotes that made it look like I was advocating for Dave Lawson.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #10
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus Haley View Post
two and a half year old thread
Year and a half. Math is fundamental.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!