Large communal Abronia setup - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
dhenderson0524
Large communal Abronia setup

I just picked up a cage thats about 5ft tall by 3ft by 4ft, screen on the front and sides with astroturf shelves in it. I was thinking about setting up a communal abronia but with different subspecies just having all females. I havent owned one but from what I've looked up as long as i put enough plants and hiding spots i shouldn't have to worry about them fighting. Anyone had any success with groups? I know I've seen people with a trio, but if thats all i could make work in this cage then i might just go in a different direction.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
Pets101
They do well in trios but I have never mixed species before.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
andrew_john_007
Intraspecific Aggression in Abronia vasconcelosii (Sauria, Anguidae), a Tropical, Arboreal Lizard

Daniel R. Formanowicz, Jr., Edmund D. Brodie, Jr. and Jonathan A. Campbell
Biotropica
Vol. 22, No. 4 (Dec., 1990), pp. 391-396

Study found that females will fight females even

Old 04-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #4
andrew_john_007
We examined the behavior patterns and the extent of aggression exhibited during intraspecific interactions in Abronia vasconcelosii. a tropical, arboreal lizard from Guatemala. Interactions between these lizards in three types of paired trials (male-male, female-female, male-female) were videotaped in the laboratory. Nine behavior patterns were exhibited by A. vasconcelosii in the trials. Neither body size nor residency status influenced the frequency of behavior patterns. Encounters between males were longest in duration, involved the most interactions, and resulted in the most extensive aggression in the form of biting. Males bit males more often then females bit females and the location of the bites differed. Bite location was nonrandom in both cases with the majority of bites in male-male encounters directed at the tail and more evenly distributed among the head, trunk, and tail in female-female encounters.

In short, there is always a risk of harm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
abronia, deppei