Any body want to help me out and ID - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #11
CrazySnakeLady
They look like Mackay's Brown Snakes.

They remain very small (~8") and feed on worms, slugs, and the like. They won't eat pinks like every other snake you might get at a pet store. Also, DO NOT feed them red wriggler worms - leaf worms and earth worms are your best bet.

They are a relatively reclusive snake and like to hide in rock piles, wood piles, and even folded umbrellas (yes, that's from experience!). They are very docile, relaxed, and fun to handle. They don't do terribly well in captivity, though, and the best bet for their livelihood is probably to just let them go in a nice field somewhere.

~CrazySnakeLady

Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM   #12
TripleMoonsExotic
Do you know the scientific name for the Mackay's Brown Snake? I'm not coming up with anything with a quick Google search. Are Mackay's native to New York (where the parents were found)?

I would discourage the OP from just letting the snakes go in a field somewhere. I don't believe they are native to her area (West Virginia), and being that they were born in captivity, generally that is discouraged by most state's DNR.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
kmurphy
Dekay's are pretty common here in Maine so they probably are common in New York also. They live under rotting logs, not wet ones, dry ones in the woods. They don't get very big, I've never seen one larger than a foot. They probably eat worms, slugs etc. Good Luck with the babies.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
TripleMoonsExotic
Kevin, are they Dekay's then (not a Mackay's as Kristine suggested)?

The information I linked in post #6 says they eat earthworms, snails, slugs, salamanders and soft-bodied grubs. Wonder if they'd eat the canned snails you can get?

I think they're neat little things whatever they are.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
kmurphy
The picture in the hand looks more like Dekay's because of the checks, but the other ones could have been Dekay's or red-bellies. They're easy to tell apart as adults but as babies they're pretty similar. Both are common here and you mostly find adults.
Funny, I just checked the Maine website and they have Brown's(Dekay's) as special concern and red-bellies as common. I see many more browns than I do red-bellies.
Here's a picture of a baby red belly, I didn't take it I found it on the internet.

Old 08-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
MiIguanaLvr
A friend from MI Reptile Rescue just told me that they are Northern Brown Snakes (Storeria dekayi)

Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #17
porkchop48
Thanks for all the help guys.
I have an imitator ( dart frog) tank that is polluted with snails. I plan on moving them into a 10 gal tonight with some heat and light and going to drop a couple snails in and see what they do.

I am confused about what to do witth them. I can not find anything that tells me yes release them or no you can not do that. I dont want the poor little guys to die.
I am going to research the Dekays and see if it is going to be possible for me to care for them properly.
Right now they are only about the size of earth worms would they be able to eat them if I cut them in half?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #18
TripleMoonsExotic
Storeria dekayi dekayi is in the North Eastern section of the US (I found PA to be their lowest range in my search, dunno if that's right). Storeria dekayi wrightorum is found Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Wisconsin. Storeria dekayi victa from Florida to Georgia (and holds "threatened" status in Florida).

Old 09-03-2008, 10:03 AM   #19
CrazySnakeLady
D'oh! Yes, Dekay's, not Mackay's.

You can get leaf worms from any bait shop. We had a Dekay's Brown Snake (found in our back yard) and she was a blast to watch. She would gulp down the worms voraciously! Our girl had baby snakes (live birth), but we couldn’t find anything small enough that they could eat, so we let them go back into the wild.

These snakes are common in parts of the US (Northeast and Midwest, in particular). You could let them go with no harm to the environment.

~CrazySnakeLady

Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #20
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySnakeLady
You can get leaf worms from any bait shop.
We don't have anything called "leaf worms" in our bait shops.
Is their another name for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazySnakeLady
These snakes are common in parts of the US (Northeast and Midwest, in particular). You could let them go with no harm to the environment.
West Virginia isn't in the NorthEast or MidWest. In fact I couldn't find anything stating they are located in WV at all. While their may be no harm to the environment, let an animal go in a location where they aren't native and they will likely die.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!