Looking for people with Corn Snake knowledge and Patience - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #21
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagas View Post
Make sure you visit cornsnakes.com.

Get an adult. You will be so much happier. Babies die.. They are afraid, they bite, they don't like to be held as much, they get sick, they refuse food sometimes, they regurge.

I feed my snakes once a week. They get an appropriately sized mouse. I buy pre-frozen mice and warm them up. It is cheaper and safer. (mice bite snakes!!). Mice are all snakes need. They are cheap and easy. Don't feed anything else. Don't use supplements unless you have a problem.
Go here: rodentpro.com

Buy Kathy Love's book on raising corns.

BTW, you are going to love it. I started with one, now I have 7 corn snakes!
I have been breeding corns for the past 4 years... I have NEVER had a baby regurge. Some of those babies are now my adults.

As for baby bites... that's laughable at best. Yes I get tagged occasionally... but a paper cut hurts worse than a baby bite. They dont even break the skin.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:17 AM   #22
Kalie
I agree. Naagas you make it sound like keeping a baby is a hard thing only for experienced keepers. It's not when you know what they need. And as the op is getting informed before buying, I'd say that's looking good.
Of course it can happen. Some babies die for no apparant reason. But they are the exception. If you take care to buy from a reputable breeder, you strongly reduce the chance of illness, and can get an established eater. If your temperature and viv is in order, regurges will normally not happen (again: it can, but is unlikely with a healthy hatchling).

They do tend to be a bit more flighty (is that a word? ), and yes, they can bite. You can hardly feel it and it's real cute ("me is gonna eat you")
It's also a joy to see them grow up, and getting their adult colors.

But Danielle it's your choice of course. Buying an adult has it's pro's too. It's all about what you would like best.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:21 PM   #23
Naagas
I thought that the OP was a newbie at snakes.

If you are a newbie at corns, babies have a lot more problems. I've never had a regurge either, but babies are less hardy than adults. Most of the problems new snake owners have could be avoided by getting an adult.

I started with babies and they all were fine, but I talk to many people who got a non-thriver as their first corn. Struggling to get a baby to eat is a pain. Watching them slowly starve is not a good intro to corns.

I am not scared of snake bites, but a lot of my friends don't want to hold my young, flighty, bitey corns. They prefer the calm adults who will sit on your lap for an hour.

When you are still trying to figure out the basics, like whether you want to use an UTH or a basking light, I would recommend getting a hardier adult corn.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #24
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naagas View Post
I thought that the OP was a newbie at snakes.

If you are a newbie at corns, babies have a lot more problems. I've never had a regurge either, but babies are less hardy than adults. Most of the problems new snake owners have could be avoided by getting an adult.

I started with babies and they all were fine, but I talk to many people who got a non-thriver as their first corn. Struggling to get a baby to eat is a pain. Watching them slowly starve is not a good intro to corns.

I am not scared of snake bites, but a lot of my friends don't want to hold my young, flighty, bitey corns. They prefer the calm adults who will sit on your lap for an hour.

When you are still trying to figure out the basics, like whether you want to use an UTH or a basking light, I would recommend getting a hardier adult corn.
Babies do NOT have alot more problems. Yes... they may be a little more flighty than adults.... but thats not a problem. That's life. Yes.... babies may be a little quicker to nip.... but that's not a problem. That's life.... they think everything wants to eat them because we are bigger than they are. With gentile handling... they get out of that stage very quick. (I produce hundreds... I should know).

If they got a non-thriver.. then they didn't buy thier snake from a reputable breeder! If it wont eat... It doesnt leave my facilities. I take great pride in the emails that I get when they say... man these things are slammin pinks like their going out of sytle.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #25
Kalie
Again I agree. (Kevin I should just copy and paste your aswers)
The OP may be a newbie, but she is getting all the info she will need. She will know in advance that a hatchling might be more nervous, and if she chooses to start with one, it won't be a surprise.
Having non-eaters when you don't have a lot of experience would be real hard that's true. But as already stated a few times: buy from the right breeder, and no problems there. That breeder might also be willing to pick the calmest one of the bunch

It's all about what you're expecting. If you don't inform yourself in advance, you might end up with a nippy, flighty non-eater and be real (unpleasantly) surprised. Doesn't sound like this will be the case here.

Whatever you choose, lots of luck with him/her, and be sure to share pictures!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #26
Southern Wolf
Besides... how could you NOT like a little attitude. It's soooooo cute

Old 12-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
SteelJawEmily
I agree with all of the above....and to add to the "babie vs adult" debate. My corn Donatello has been perfect. I never have had any problems with him and I've had him since he was one month old. He acts more like a cat than a snake. When he was a baby, he was more flighty (yes that is a word ) but the longer you hold them, the more comfortable they get.

I personally think that starting with a baby is best because then not only can you watch them grow, you can also learn their habits better. I just recently acquired an IJ about the same age as my corn (one year old, which in snakes, is still considered a baby) and they are very different in personality and habits.

For example...Donatello likes to eat his mice fast, and then go hide and relax while he digests. Malakai, my carpet...eats his mice very slowly, and then he is very active. Not to mention their personalities are different. Both are curious but Malakai likes to "Explore". He is always on the move, whereas Donatello likes to just chill on your arm/lap/neck whatever.

So I'm glad you are doing your research

But yes, do go to Cornsnakes.com! That is a great help.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #28
SteelJawEmily
Oh and Kevin, that pic is ADORABLE. "Ima bite chooo!!!" lol

Old 12-31-2010, 04:11 PM   #29
windowswisher
Ball pythons and corn snakes are very different. While they are both comparable in length, ball pythons are much weightier and girthier. Corn snakes are not the types of snakes you throw around you while you water plants in the yard and stuff; they are curious explorers.

I would recommend purchasing a baby as well, preferably from a reptile show. You will be able to meet and talk with the breeder the snake is coming from, and at prices much cheaper than any pet store or even online. I bought a beautiful little butter stripe last August at the Round Rock, TX reptile show for $25 - what a steal!

It is quite a joy to watch your baby thrive into a full-grown corn snake. With proper husbandry a healthy baby will give you little problem, and a reputable breeder should not be selling an unhealthy one. Also, you will have the time to care for and handle your snake each day. As an adult the snake will likely be much more calm than an adult you purchase elsewhere that may or may not be handled each day.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #30
CeaserGirl938
Thanks for the posts everyone. I was away from the comp for a while because I was in the middle of moving but I'm going through and reading everything.

Just as an update, I ended up getting a ball python baby. He's about 150 grams or so. I bought him from Ivory Reptiles and spent much time talking to Brittany to get all the information I needed. My baby arrived at my new home on Dec 30th at 10:21am. It's 3:46pm here now on the next day and he is healthy, curious, and has already taken his first meal from me. Purchasing him from Brittant was a thrilling experience cause everything went smooth and quick. Thanks for all the tips everyone.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!