baby axolotl help!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:55 AM   #1
Smokey0923
Unhappy baby axolotl help!!

So first off i know this is stupid. I didn't realize the brine shrimp eggs would run out so quickly.. So i have eight for 2 more feedings. I'm worried that i won't be able to get more in time :/ is there ANYTHING else i can feed the 1 week old axi babies? Like...really fine crushed up pellets by chance? I don't know but i need a last resort food to go to in case i can't get more brine shrimp eggs..

Old 03-19-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Smokey0923
Enough* not eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey0923 View Post
So first off i know this is stupid. I didn't realize the brine shrimp eggs would run out so quickly.. So i have eight for 2 more feedings. I'm worried that i won't be able to get more in time :/ is there ANYTHING else i can feed the 1 week old axi babies? Like...really fine crushed up pellets by chance? I don't know but i need a last resort food to go to in case i can't get more brine shrimp eggs..

Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #3
Magic
Frozen!!!

All of my axo babies were eating frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms very soon after hatch, about 1.5 weeks. I just made a slurry and gently stirred the water to get the food moving and looking like it was alive. It's worth a shot. Just macerate the frozen food bits up fine, add a bit of water, and then drizzle that water in front of your babies.

If you can get to a saltwater aquatics store they will probably have some brine or other refugium dwellers for sale for you to feed your babies if the frozen doesn't work. Good luck! Keep us apprised of what they're doing..others might have better tips.

Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Smokey0923
Thank you for your input I'll look for frozen brine shrimp at petco, the only place that has salt water besides petco is an hour away. I found really thin earth worm babies that i cut up that looks like its in the babies stomachs. I'll try to find more. is the thin cut up earth worms ok if i can find more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Frozen!!!

All of my axo babies were eating frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms very soon after hatch, about 1.5 weeks. I just made a slurry and gently stirred the water to get the food moving and looking like it was alive. It's worth a shot. Just macerate the frozen food bits up fine, add a bit of water, and then drizzle that water in front of your babies.

If you can get to a saltwater aquatics store they will probably have some brine or other refugium dwellers for sale for you to feed your babies if the frozen doesn't work. Good luck! Keep us apprised of what they're doing..others might have better tips.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #5
Magic
You know, I've never tried earthworms.

But you know axos. Whatever can fit in the mouth, is food. So if you're getting good results with the earthworms, there's no reason why you can't keep giving them some. The earthworms might muck up their water pretty bad, but sometimes that's just something you have to accept.

The frozen brine is sold at Petco, just check the freezer by the fish tanks. Shouldn't be more than $5 for a pack of frozen brine shrimp.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #6
Smokey0923
Ok thank you. And they're so little i almost missed em. There skinny enough to fit in the babies mouth, i chopped em up small enough, perfect food size. I guess they like it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
You know, I've never tried earthworms.

But you know axos. Whatever can fit in the mouth, is food. So if you're getting good results with the earthworms, there's no reason why you can't keep giving them some. The earthworms might muck up their water pretty bad, but sometimes that's just something you have to accept.

The frozen brine is sold at Petco, just check the freezer by the fish tanks. Shouldn't be more than $5 for a pack of frozen brine shrimp.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!