Injured Bull Frog - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #1
Jesse123
Injured Bull Frog

Hello All,
I am new to this site. I am not sure if anyone knows anything about bullfrogs but I figured I would ask. We have two 500 gallon ponds in the back yard. For the past 8 years we have had two bullfrogs living in them, among many other other little friends. The bullfrogs have grown very large and we have become quite fond of them over the years. Anyway, the other day I noticed one of them has a large hole (about the diamiter of a pencil) in the membrane on the side of his head. It appears as the there is a second membrane inside that also has a hole. I am pretty familiar with amphibians and reptiles and I have never seen anything like this. Does anyone have any idea what this is? Will the frog be OK? Is there anything that can be done?

Thank you for any input!!

Old 09-07-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
mfsidore
Can you post a picture?

Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Jesse123
I will try. When I went out this morning to check on him he jumped in the water. I can't imagine that is good for him so I am trying to keep my distance. He usually sits in a pond plant where only his body is submerged. I will see what I can do, though. Thank you!

Old 09-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
Jesse123
Here are some pics[

ATTACH]641283[/ATTACH]

Name:  IMG_0859.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  227.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0860.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  211.5 KB
Attached Images

Old 09-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
snowgyre
Our brains distinguish sound direction by measuring the time difference between when sound hits one ear drum and then the other. If sound hit your right ear drum first, for example, you turn your head to the right because your brain tells you that the sound had to come from that direction.

On smaller animals, especially reptiles and amphibians, the ears are so close to one another that sound hits both ear drums at almost the same time. To compensate for this, the ear canals are actually connected inside the head to help the brain figure out which side of the head the sound came from. So, that "inner membrane" you see could actually be inside that canal that connects both ear drums.

This bullfrog obviously has a punctured tympanic membrane and is definitely deaf on that side of its head. If any inner tissue is damaged, then the bullfrog could be completely deaf. The bullfrog will probably still be able to find food without much problem, but it probably won't be able to breed (given that frogs assess and find mates via sound). It may also be more vulnerable to predators.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!