Spring has sprung in So Cal. Now it is raining (DUW) - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
RockRatt
Spring has sprung in So Cal. Now it is raining (DUW)

December 31st
Weather here in So Cal was feeling alot like full blown spring temps. Went out on a small group outing. Quite a bit was seen that day but two of our target species were found on dec. 31st Here is my pics for my first trip this season (even though in So Cal it seems like the season doesn't end sometimes. So this is just from Dec. 31st until Feb. 2nd. hope you enjoy..
It was a beautiful day out there and one of the BEST New Years Eves I have had.

Beginning of January
Well I went out and took another buddy Kyle Kilvang from work to show him around. He has had to listen to all my herpin stories and pictures. So he decided that he wanted to try it out. We headed out to riverside for a cheater boa. Like most times I have been in riverside I have seen something that to me seems weird but cool. I had heard about the dry conditions, and the wind. But when i got out there it was about 78 at 11:00 AM and not windy at all. Now i found ALOT of rocks that are already dry underneath them, but I also found some that still were holding moisture.

Well onto the Weird part of my day. What seemed like 100 goats started coming around the dirt road and then a cowboy comes up behind them with his goat herding dog. It was pretty cool to actually watch.

We walked past a small rocky outcropping and I noticed a pretty descent rock. Well I was trying to show him what to look for. I flipped the rock and flipped my first toad under a rock. This is the best shot of it I could get before it jumped down a hole. Someone suggested it may be a spadefoot?

Next when we got to the area we were heading toward where this is some metal siding, I flipped this young Plestiodon"gilberti" rubricaudatus - Western Red-tailed Skink.

I must of flipped 100 rocks today, then I came across The Perfect Rock. It was split into two pieces. I KNEW/ SAW the Rosy underneath it before flipping the left piece. I ACTUALLY was disapointed when nothing was underneath it. Then I flipped the right side and WOO HOO! A nice big female..

Beginning of February
One of the first rocks I flipped i found a chubby little night snake. He must of recently took down a meal. after i tried to take a couple pics I moved him back to his hole under his rock..
Hypsiglena ochrorhyncha klauberi - San Diego Nightsnake

Next I took a rest at a rockpile and within about 2 minutes lizards stated coming back out. this one decided to workout. Watching his pushups got me ready to exercise and find more..
Sceloporus occidentalis longipes - Great Basin Fence Lizard?

Made my way up the hill to flip this nice big female rosy..

Walked up to a rockpile and noticed a nice red body hiding underneath a flat rock. I moved the top rock to my suprise was another Red Diamond Rattlesnake. The second Ruber I moved out for some pics but it decided to crawl into a crevice between the pile, I let it go its merry little way. the first ruber was more than hapy t let me take a few pics before moving back to his rockpile and his partner.
Crotalus ruber - Red Diamond Rattlesnake

My buddy Erndogy flipped a nice looking Gophersnake. it was very black on top and the black did not fade at all the whole length of the body.
Pituophis catenifer annectens- San Diego Gophersnake

Check out my short video from Feb. 2nd and let me know what you think..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd3EOrFfL_0

Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
woongson
Hi
I love the rosys. Nice pics

Woongson

Old 03-27-2009, 10:25 PM   #3
Randolph's Redtail's
Makes me wish i lived in cali.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Brih099
If you dont mind me asking where in Riverside where you? Im local, and would love to go herping out there!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
HeartAche
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brih099 View Post
If you dont mind me asking where in Riverside where you? Im local, and would love to go herping out there!
^^ Same here..

Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
Uroboros
Ok, sorry if it's off topic, but what is DUW and does this relate to the "DUers Beware" thread title?

Nice, I lived in Big Bear from age 12 to 25.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #7
Uroboros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randolph's Redtail's View Post
Makes me wish i lived in cali.
Their taxes make you glad you live wherever you're at.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
RockRatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by woongson View Post
Hi
I love the rosys. Nice pics

Woongson
Thanks..Me Too, they are my favorite finds..

BRIH099 and HEARTACHE These pics were from Riverside coastal areas and from San Diego Inland Coastal areas. If you are local then almost anywhere in Riverside County is really good. Just look for areas that are kind of open hills with scrub brush and rocks. All these can be very common out there, the Rosys are considered cheater boas since they are pretty abundant if you know what you doing and looking for. BRIH099 and HEARTACHE shoot me an email and I will send you a link to a field herp site that I learned alot from.

UROSBOROS DUW = Dialup warning So if someone using Dial Up Internet will know there are ALOT of pictures and will take a long time to load up the page. I guess taxes are bad out here. I have never lived anywhere else so I cannot compare our taxes to other areas. I know LA's taxes are higher than Orange County. Taxes are due to rise again too..WooHoo

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!