Cave dwelling rat snakes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Cave dwelling rat snakes

Moved my pair of Orthriophis taeniurus ridleyi (cave dwelling rat snakes) into a new set-up and figured that's a good time to snap some quick pics. Lucy and Ricky.

One of these days I'll get some good photos.. one of these days.

what's that over there?

Fresh water

Close-up

Run, back into the cave

thanks for looking
-April

Old 04-17-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
Focal
Those are very neat!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
thank you! They were on my wish list for a very long time.

These snakes have the most intense feeding response I've ever seen, I'll try to get a video of it.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
~Just Curious~
D'awww Lucy and Ricky, how cute! Cave dwelling rats are just the coolest thing, love those tails! <3 They're on my wishlist too, but I can't realistically see myself getting some for a few years. Someday though~

I hear a lot about their feeding response, so that sounds like fun! Feeding moments aside, how is their temperament? Also if I can ask - how large/old is your pair? *nosy*
I've actually never seen that species in person... never at a show or anything, and I don't even see too much of them online either. Bit of a bummer, I really wish there was more out there on them. So thank you so much for sharing since I can't get enough of those guys!
The new set ups look awesome too, so I'm sure they're happy! The rock walls are especially neat!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
AbsoluteApril
thanks! I told myself Someday for a while too, they're worth the wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Just Curious~ View Post
Feeding moments aside, how is their temperament? Also if I can ask - how large/old is your pair?
They are '08s and unrelated CBB. I was lucky to buy them last year from
another hobbyist. So they were already adults and had been worked with a
lot. They can be huffy and strikey when in the cage but usually once out
I can handle them fine. They are pretty much constantly on the move, like
big giant corn snakes haha. The strike though is surprisingly strong! I mean,
they hit harder than my big boa constrictors do and it's over and over -
*wham*wham*wham* like a firecracker.

I haven't measured them but they are over 6' in length or close to it. I'll
make sure to get some vids up soon. I've only seen them at shows a couple
of times. They can be hard to find, it took me a while to find these two and I
pretty much just got lucky.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
~Just Curious~
Lucky you!!! They sound awesome!
"Big giant corn snake" LOL That's perfect, makes 'em fun to watch! They're so pretty, it'd be a right shame if they were shy~
Their strikes sound like it'd be something to see too. Well never a boring moment right? I imagine it keeps you on your toes during feeding times.

Thanks for the answers though, it's great learning more about these guys!

Old 04-27-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
couple more pics, took these last night

fresh shed:

closer:

This shows how they love to trash their enclosure and make a big ol mess, and everytime I'm in the snake room, they always watch what is going on.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Helenthereef
I'm SO jealous, April, I think these are the most elegant snakes ever. Please keep sharing photos.

One day, if I ever hit the Real World..............

Do you handle them much? How do they tolerate it?

Old 04-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #9
~Just Curious~
Awesome!!!
Thanks so much for sharing, they look gorgeous! The shiny, new skin makes their colors even more vibrant! <3 I love that golden orange, it's actually nicer than a lot of others I've seen who are more olive in color, plus it really contrasts with the skunk tail. I remember the first time I ever saw a picture of this species, my first thought was that it was two different snakes coiled up together. "Where's the stripey one's head?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
This shows how they love to trash their enclosure and make a big ol mess, and everytime I'm in the snake room, they always watch what is going on.
How funny! I love a snake with personality!
Kinda reminds me of my gophers, I redid their enclosure last weekend which immediatly encouraged them to -trash it- do some radical redecorating of their own. lol This is why I can't have pretty things.

Ones like that may be more of a handful, but they're just so entertaining~
So I too am curious to see what the babies will be like in regards to personality! I apologize if you mentioned this earlier and I didn't catch it, but are you breeding Lucy and Ricky this year?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
AbsoluteApril
thank you both!

Sorry I missed your question earlier -
Quote:
I remember the first time I ever saw a picture of this species, my first thought was that it was two different snakes coiled up together. "Where's the stripey one's head?"
too funny! That is exactly what I thought first time I saw a photo as well! They do look like a patchwork of two snakes franken-morphed together.

Quote:
are you breeding Lucy and Ricky this year?
I am going to try, probably put them together this weekend (they both ate last night). I may be a little late in the season but the weather has been so weird, you never know! I'll post an update if anything looks promising.