Growth question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
loye
Growth question

OK, so I have another question, I have read somewhere that if a beardie is in an enclosure that is too small it will stunt it's growth (which I believe is the case w/ other animals as well) But I am wondering if there is a chance, even as adults, if they may be able to grow some more once placed in to an appropriate sized enclosure? The two guys I took in I was told are adults (I'm pretty sure they said they'd had them a cpl yrs) but had 2 males in an approx 2x2 enclosure (3x3 tops) and so they are currently only approx 14" and 17" long. I'm getting them fattened and hydrated, but am wondering if their growth stands a chance?

Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
angie.h
Actually that is not true Emily...what stunts the growth is lack of care.... enough food, supplements, etc. I doubt that a 2 year old will grow any bigger if it's actually 2 years old, but perhaps just a little more. Wider, yes, longer, not by much . Are there any bone deformities that you can see, such as from severe calcium deficiency/ MBD ?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Bill T
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Actually that is not true Emily...what stunts the growth is lack of care.... enough food, supplements, etc. I doubt that a 2 year old will grow any bigger if it's actually 2 years old, but perhaps just a little more. Wider, yes, longer, not by much . Are there any bone deformities that you can see, such as from severe calcium deficiency/ MBD ?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
angie.h
Something else I thought I'd mention Emily, the 17" may be near it's adult size, the other 14" dragon, if it were the same age and always in the cage with the other, was probably not a good eater, intimidated, etc, and the 17" took most of the food. At times a dragon may start out growing slowly, not eating as much as it's siblings, and be more of a " runt", smaller in every way, but still nice looking, no seeming health problems or structure problems, and then hit a little growth spurt at 8,9, 10 months or so, even later, but wil not usually get to " normal" full size. For some it's totally normal even for a healthy, well - cared for dragon to be 16" at adult size, and so we allow for that fact....that just like with most animals and even people, some are just smaller.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
loye
Thanks for clearing that up! I have not noticed any deformities at all, they seem to be ok structure wise, aside from neglect issues. They weren't on a very good diet...they've strictly been given juvenile dragon pellets their whole life and had no uvb light or anything, just the red heat light. And the calcium they gave me that they had expired in early 2009 (its a very small container still practically full, so they prob weren't getting that either)

I have bought some new calcium, got a uv on 'em as well as giving them a few hourse a day outside for real sun. They get mixed salads daily and are switched between crickets and wax worms. I mist them daily (cpl times actually, bc some of the time they actually drink from the water bottle) and soak them a couple time a wk b/c they were severely dehydrated...which is also getting better. I am really trying to get them turned around and doing good, but these are my first beardies so I've had lots of questions lol been doing a lot of online reading too as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
angie.h
That's great Emily, sounds like you are doing everything right, and it's fortunate that they don't appear to have any major problems or deformities. Good food, hydration and time in the sun will help them out greatly, so it sounds like they will have a good home with you.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!